Could a Queen mate this late in the year? (Mid October)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It’s mid October now.

Could a queen successfully mate this late in the season?

Have you got drones?
Is the weather set fair?
Mine were thrown out weeks ago and west Wales has rain forecast for weeks so definitely not here.

Have you got drones?
Is the weather set fair?
Mine were thrown out weeks ago and west Wales has rain forecast for weeks so definitely not here.
Yes I still see drones in my hives.

Mildish weather at the moment. Not sure about the coming days

Well it’s up to you. I wouldn’t chance it. What’s the situation? Emerged virgin queen or queen cells?

My dequeened min nuc raised and apparently mated a Queen about a month ago. Given the warmish weather and drones, I'd try it ,(but would not risk a lot of bees on it and be prepared to fail.)

One? Then supersedure
It might be successful or you might have a DLQ in the spring.
If you can afford to lose the colony then leave it alone.

I’ve had late matings but with only a cell atm your certainly pushing your luck. I saw a few drones at the weekend but numbers are way down and I’ve a lot of nucs with recently mated queens in so I’d expect colonies to have kept a few. I would leave them to it if it’s supersedure unless you have excess nucs.

Possible but unlikely. Drones in the colony with the most were being evicted during the warm weather last week.

One? Then supersedure
It might be successful or you might have a DLQ in the spring.
If you can afford to lose the colony then leave it alone.
I had thought if it’s too late for a Queen to get mated, that I would combine this colony with a strong nuc I have (its Queen is laying well).

I'm amazed people still have more than the occasional drone in the first place. My QXes were rammed with them (dead) when I took the supers off in mid-August.

James

Two things to consider. Are you sure its a viable Q cell and not one re sealed after the virgin emerged and the viability of drones is now dubious at best so all in all certainly up here not a hope.

PH

I'm amazed people still have more than the occasional drone in the first place. My QXes were rammed with them (dead) when I took the supers off in mid-August.

James
I wasn't seeing drones at the hive entrances by mid August, but I still got a queen mated.
I think the chances are low now, and even if successful may be only mated with a small number of drones.
I would be interesting to know how late in the year people have had successful matings. (And I'm not referring to the works Xmas party!)

Latest posts

Back