Corroboration Help Please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweet Finger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I need some help to corroborate a treatment for AFB. (There was no 'official' diagnoses but the look and smell were there as well as the slimy brood cells.)

To the supplemental sugar water jar (250 ml water plus 100 gm +/- white sugar) all I did was add 5-10 ml of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide over a period of 6-8 months.

Nothing else was done. Now it's a strong hive and the areas affected within the hive don't seem to be used by the bees but the evidence is that it kills the bacteria somehow.

I caught a swarm last year and a beek friend responded with a used brood box and bottom board which apparently was holding water after I installed it. That I believe, is when the AFB was introduced.

I replaced the bottom board with a new plastic ventilated type (yesterday) and I will cycle out the old brood box as soon as i figure out how to do that.

Also, is the honey all right to use? It's clear and tastes very fine and rich.

-Harry

Last edited:
In the UK the bees and frames have to be destroyed by fire and the hive parts would have to be scorched. There are 2 possibilities for AFB in your hive either the swarm came from an AFB infected colony or the hive parts you were given were already infected. Do you have bee inspectors you can call upon? Are you a member of an association you can get definitive advice from? Here in the UK the bees would have to be destroyed. IMHO you will have to destroy the frames of comb as your brood area is severely compromised. I will not give anymore advice as you are in a different country with different rules and regulations. Nor will I advise on the honey.

Last edited:
Perhaps a forum member who lives in the US can advise you. Obviously, such advice would be illegal

We can advise from UK.

However, the advice would be;

get yourself to the nearest Gas Station + buy a box of matches!

Oklahoma USA.

Non of the uk residents can advise on this as we would have to destroy the hive if we get this affecting it I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello from Oklahoma.

I didn't know to what extent you Brits were acting on it. Thank you. Maybe some curious Cooter beek will try it out for a bit before they call in the LAW.

In the UK the bees and frames have to be destroyed by fire and the hive parts would have to be scorched. There are 2 possibilities for AFB in your hive either the swarm came from an AFB infected colony or the hive parts you were given were already infected. Do you have bee inspectors you can call upon? Are you a member of an association you can get definitive advice from? Here in the UK the bees would have to be destroyed. IMHO you will have to destroy the frames of comb as your brood area is severely compromised. I will not give anymore advice as you are in a different country with different rules and regulations. Nor will I advise on the honey.

Hello. That's just it. The brood area is clear of all signs of AFB. It's one of my strongest hives now. (The honey is tasty and rich too.)

I'm thinking that the hive body given to me was contaminated.

We do have state wide inspectors and beeks must be available for inspections at any time. I probably should have called one out but I've been a researcher for years and couldn't resist trying out that idea. I do it on a shoe string budget so the radar is not on me unless I want it to be... much like now. not worthy If I have a solution then why not tell others? I just wanted some corroboration, that's all.

In Oklahoma if a person has two hives it is considered an 'apiary' but there's no forced registration that i know of. We can pay a fee of $20 to have our hives location listed in a state-wide database and that's pretty much it. I appreciate your input. -Harry

Don't know... I don't think AFB is a risk to humans!
Do not feed it back to the bees... I have been told that contaminated honey has been the cause of AFB outbreaks in the UK in passed years.
Goes without saying perhaps that sharing any contaminated equipment or communal bee related activity is a possible risk to bio security and the inevitable spread of bee disease like AFB
Possibly why there is a destruction by fire order imposed and supervised by the Bee Inspectorate in the UK.

NOT a place I want to go thanks!!!

Nos da

Perhaps a forum member who lives in the US can advise you. Obviously, such advice would be illegal here so it is probably best done through PM. The situation in the UK is described here

Hello. Thanks for those links. I'm going to give Mr. Budge a shout. -Harry

We can advise from UK.

However, the advice would be;

get yourself to the nearest Gas Station + buy a box of matches!

That humor is what I enjoy about you Brits. I don't know about your petrol but here it's explosive and I know you wouldn't want me to to singe these beautiful eyebrows. -Harry

Don't know... I don't think AFB is a risk to humans!
Do not feed it back to the bees... I have been told that contaminated honey has been the cause of AFB outbreaks in the UK in passed years.
Goes without saying perhaps that sharing any contaminated equipment or communal bee related activity is a possible risk to bio security and the inevitable spread of bee disease like AFB
Possibly why there is a destruction by fire order imposed and supervised by the Bee Inspectorate in the UK.

NOT a place I want to go thanks!!!

Nos da

Quite right. Thank you. -Harry

It's not my intent to be a nitwit but if it's the official policy to burn all hives with AFB and they are still burning them, then the problem isn't being solved now is it? Maybe some brave soul could at least try the H2O2 treatment and get back to me on the QT. I've waited a while for any new development and I can wait as long as it takes.

Also note: I made a mistake in translating US/Metric volumes in my first post. Instead of 250 ml it was supposed to be 1 litre of water. -Harry

Last edited:
Hello. That's just it. The brood area is clear of all signs of AFB. It's one of my strongest hives now. (The honey is tasty and rich too.)

I'm thinking that the hive body given to me was contaminated.

We do have state wide inspectors and beeks must be available for inspections at any time. I probably should have called one out but I've been a researcher for years and couldn't resist trying out that idea. I do it on a shoe string budget so the radar is not on me unless I want it to be... much like now. not worthy If I have a solution then why not tell others? I just wanted some corroboration, that's all.

In Oklahoma if a person has two hives it is considered an 'apiary' but there's no forced registration that i know of. We can pay a fee of $20 to have our hives location listed in a state-wide database and that's pretty much it. I appreciate your input. -Harry

If your whole hive was affected and after treatment, the bees don't use the frames then in all probability they will abscond. Maybe infecting other areas where they take up residence, after consuming the honey that has AFB in it. This could introduce AFB into areas that have been free of the disease.

It's not my intent to be a nitwit but if it's the official policy to burn all hives with AFB and they are still burning them, then the problem isn't being solved now is it? Maybe some brave soul could at least try the H2O2 treatment and get back to me on the QT. I've waited a while for any new development and I can wait as long as it takes.

Also note: I made a mistake in translating US/Metric volumes in my first post. Instead of 250 ml it was supposed to be 1 litre of water. -Harry

I could be oversimplifying the situation but it seems to me that the outbreaks of AFB in the UK are in flying distance of non uk honey import or handling facilities. In fact over the last few outbreaks I've read about a Google search for honey processing plants or importers has revealed a company or companies connected to imported honey in the same general area.

I could be oversimplifying the situation but it seems to me that the outbreaks of AFB in the UK are in flying distance of non uk honey import or handling facilities. In fact over the last few outbreaks I've read about a Google search for honey processing plants or importers has revealed a company or companies connected to imported honey in the same general area.

John that's an easy thing to say...but some details of outbreaks and relation to imported honey handling facilities would put it head and shoulders above "urban myth".

Latest posts

Back