Correx travel boxes and heat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Bees

Bumblebee
Reaction score
Quick question - is it safe to have a nuc sitting in an apiary in a correx travel box on a really hot day? (not being picked up for 24 hours)

I mean, I know they are ventilated, but I just wondered if anyone had experienced issues?

Would it be safe for a less populated nuc, but risky for a nuc that was packing out the correx box?

TIA

Quick question - is it safe to have a nuc sitting in an apiary in a correx travel box on a really hot day? (not being picked up for 24 hours)

I mean, I know they are ventilated, but I just wondered if anyone had experienced issues?

Would it be safe for a less populated nuc, but risky for a nuc that was packing out the correx box?

TIA

No experience, but OK in the shade?

If you're using the green transit Correx boxes make sure that the 3mm holes in the end panels are clear: punch out the discs from outside and inside the wall.

Shade is ideal, but if bees must forage and retain flyers on the original stand (it's going to be warm) rig up an umbrella - bang in four posts and put a board above it. Not too high, because as the sun rotates the box may become exposed.

If you want to lock them up all day in the shade, then go ahead, no harm will come of it. Every so often I miss an entrance on a nuc split, but when opening after a week they carry on as normal.

We've loaded and parked several hundred Correx transit boxes in shade and never had a problem.

Travel is a different matter, and very occasionally a customer will not follow advice - aircon on or windows open, don't stop on the way - and bees die.

If you're using the green transit Correx boxes make sure that the 3mm holes in the end panels are clear: punch out the discs from outside and inside the wall.

Shade is ideal, but if bees must forage and retain flyers on the original stand (it's going to be warm) rig up an umbrella - bang in four posts and put a board above it. Not too high, because as the sun rotates the box may become exposed.

If you want to lock them up all day in the shade, then go ahead, no harm will come of it. Every so often I miss an entrance on a nuc split, but when opening after a week they carry on as normal.

We've loaded and parked several hundred Correx transit boxes in shade and never had a problem.

Travel is a different matter, and very occasionally a customer will not follow advice - aircon on or windows open, don't stop on the way - and bees die.

Thanks Eric, good advice!

I have used correx nucs temporary for keeping swarms in with combs for a few weeks without issues, my ones I have adapted with omf and they have handle hold side vents and a 25mm side flap/entrance. When short I have even over wintered a nuc with additional ext insulation.

In warm weather if short and have a need to use Correx boxes sit a lump of PIR on the lid to deflect the rays.

Latest posts

Back