Corfu bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
In Old Perithia, a deserted mountain village in norther Corfu, there's a beekeeper called Vasilikis. His father Spiros was there the last time I visited in 2008, he has since died and Vasilikis has taken over. Spiros was extremely rustic and traditional, Vasilikis has increased the number of hives and products, he also speaks english. Well worth a visit. He has 300 langstroths, and sells a range of bee products. He makes his own oxalic acid strips to treat for varroa. As the temperature can be 24 degrees in January, he remains flexible on winter feeding, adding it when the weather is harsh but not feeding as a matter of course. No asian hornets although he's sure they'll come at some time.

Attachments

• 20210916_115306[1].jpg
    20210916_115306[1].jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 20210916_115724[1].jpg
    20210916_115724[1].jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
In Old Perithia, a deserted mountain village in norther Corfu, there's a beekeeper called Vasilikis. His father Spiros was there the last time I visited in 2008, he has since died and Vasilikis has taken over. Spiros was extremely rustic and traditional, Vasilikis has increased the number of hives and products, he also speaks english. Well worth a visit. He has 300 langstroths, and sells a range of bee products. He makes his own oxalic acid strips to treat for varroa. As the temperature can be 24 degrees in January, he remains flexible on winter feeding, adding it when the weather is harsh but not feeding as a matter of course. No asian hornets although he's sure they'll come at some time.
I also met Vasilikis about five years ago when visiting NE Corfu - near a village called Arillas where we stayed twice a year until Covid. A lovely chap who insisted I put on a veil and went into a hive with shorts and t shirt.
To keep hornets away from the hives he had tables with fish on just left out. He also used the brick method for hive records.

I also met Vasilikis about five years ago when visiting NE Corfu - near a village called Arillas where we stayed twice a year until Covid. A lovely chap who insisted I put on a veil and went into a hive with shorts and t shirt.
To keep hornets away from the hives he had tables with fish on just left out. He also used the brick method for hive records.
What a good system. Hadn't heard of bricks before. Well described here on youtube with added colour coding system.
Vasilikis's bees seemed very quiet and his "shop" had hives on two sides of it. One tourist wandered into the row of hives and was asked to reverse quickly but the bees seemed much more amenable than mine would be.

I have a holiday booked for June next year. I’ll take some time to visit him. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back