Converting a 9 frame radial to do Brood Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a 9 frame thorne radial extractor. It takes 9 super frames, but I cannot extract brood frames.
I have found the following trays on thornes website to convert it to a tangential for brood frames but the cost is extortionate.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=screen&product_id=276

Can anyone suggest a cheaper / home made alternative?

Play around with how they fit. In my Association extractor I get them in at an angle between radial and tangential and support them with some luckily-sized bakers' cooling trays. I'd post you a pic but it wouldn't be till August...

ADD. Those Thornes pieces look a lot like the same trays...

I tried modifying baking racks last year but didn't have much success. At these look stainless and solid. The cooling rack from memory were chrome.

Buy a cheap hand extractor that will do a couple at a time unless you always use brood. I have a back up one that I use for brood if I needs it!
E

Looks pretty reasonable to me. 18 jars of honey? At 4 lbs a frame ......

PH

Buy a cheap hand extractor that will do a couple at a time unless you always use brood. I have a back up one that I use for brood if I needs it!
E

A man with money to burn 5 hives and 2 extractors. probably has 2 wax melters as well:sorry:

I have a 9 frame thorne radial extractor. It takes 9 super frames, but I cannot extract brood frames.
I have found the following trays on thornes website to convert it to a tangential for brood frames but the cost is extortionate.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=screen&product_id=276

Can anyone suggest a cheaper / home made alternative?

A much cheaper alternative would to get some mesh and construct the tangential trays to fit in your current extractor.
You could easily make them so that they just drop/hook in and can be removed to go radial again.

A much cheaper alternative would to get some mesh and construct the tangential trays to fit in your current extractor.
You could easily make them so that they just drop/hook in and can be removed to go radial again.
:iagree:
It is also amazing what you can do with a pair of pliers and some 2.5mm stainless wire.

This would have been my first line of attack, but stainless mesh is not easy to come by. Also, many sellers will only sell you an 8' X 4' sheet. About £90 posted for 1" square mesh 3mm wire.

This would have been my first line of attack, but stainless mesh is not easy to come by. Also, many sellers will only sell you an 8' X 4' sheet. About £90 posted for 1" square mesh 3mm wire.

Second hand commercial catering equipment is a good source of food grade stainless steel.

I have a nine frame radial and I can extract three national broods radially by using the middle slot in each third of the cage. They aren't quite strictly on the radius but it works. Bit of a slow job, only three at a time, but quicker than doing three tangentially!

I'm in a similar boat here, I have the 12 frame abelo extractor and need to extract some brood frames. On their website they offer this:

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extrac...ntial/tangential-screen-for-radial-extractor/

I emailed them to ask if these would fit into my 12 frame extractor and I got a response of no use at all, they just said that the 12 frame extractor doesn't take brood frames (which I already know)... what I want to know is if the convertor above will work in my extractor so I can order some! Does anyone on here own these or have any experience of these extractors and can advise! Desperately in need of this to clear up some of the brood frames for laying space!

I'm in a similar boat here, I have the 12 frame abelo extractor and need to extract some brood frames. On their website they offer this:

https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/extrac...ntial/tangential-screen-for-radial-extractor/

I emailed them to ask if these would fit into my 12 frame extractor and I got a response of no use at all, they just said that the 12 frame extractor doesn't take brood frames (which I already know)... what I want to know is if the convertor above will work in my extractor so I can order some! Does anyone on here own these or have any experience of these extractors and can advise! Desperately in need of this to clear up some of the brood frames for laying space!

take your extractor down to Park Beekeeping supples Blackheath and see if their tangential screens fit

Attachments

• tangent.jpg
    tangent.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back