Continue to feed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Both my hives were quite active today, which is both a huge relief and a wonderful sight to see. Plenty of pollen being taken in.

Do I still need to keep checking stores, or is that it now, as the bees are looking after themselves?

I guess I should keep checking as the weather may turn cold again, but just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable than me.

Another thing, I guess that I should not disturb the frames in the brood box yet, as the bees will still be clustering. Again, is this a valid assumption?

Many thanks
Charles

It sounds like you know the answers, Charles ;)
All depends on the season, in 2013 Winter refused to let go and it remained cold until May, my first inspection that year was the bank holiday weekend.
Keep an eye on their stores until they are flying well by hefting.
Brood inspection can be left until things are much warmer, the odd day of 14 degrees here and there is no good.
Nice to see them enjoying the sun isn't it?

It sounds like you know the answers, Charles ;)

Thank you. I'm hoping common sense works, but this is my first winter, so I just want some reassurance that what I think is sensible actually translates into real help for the bees. I'd hate to hurt them through well-intentioned, but misguided, interventions.

Nice to see them enjoying the sun isn't it?

Oh yes. I checked them a couple of weeks ago, and was delighted to see they were alive. Today was just a joy. I took my camera up to the hives and just sat and watched them for ages. Next time, I might get around to taking some photos :rolleyes:.

keeping a watch at the entrance to see what they are doing and what they are bringing in and noting the prevailing weather for the time of year will give you invaluable experience for the future, as they become more active and the weather warms it is critical you keep checking they have sufficient stores, nothing wrong with looking in the top but dont disturb the frames,there is little benefit until we are well into spring,
for insurance a block of candy placed on the top bars will give you some confidence , i try to check weekly i dont rely on hefting

Brooding will be on the increase now, so will the consumption of stores. Now is the danger time for loss of colony from starvation. Personally, I do not keep opening the brood box. Only opened to give them a big dollop of fondant if hefting indicates the need. Lost one colony from starvation in my first winter. None since. Here I have spells where it is mild enough for them to break cluster and move to combs where there are still stores

Last edited:
Brooding will be on the increase now, so will the consumption of stores. Now is the danger time for loss of colony from starvation. Personally, I do not keep opening the brood box. Only opened to give them a big dollop of fondant if hefting indicates the need. Lost one colony from starvation in my first winter. None since. Here I have spells where it is mild enough for them to break cluster and move to combs where there are still stores

Your just reiterating what they said at the bee keepers meeting the other night drex that now is the danger! Time cheers.. not worthy

Latest posts

Back