Condensation in polynuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdmw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a strong nuc in a Paynes polynuc which I am trying to overwinter
Had a quick peek in today and there was some condensation on the clear plastic inner cover. I wondered whether that was sufficient ventilation and whether I should drill a small hole at the top of the back wall to allow humid air to escape? Any thoughts please :thanks:

I tend to leave alone, drilling an hole would introduce a draught when they are trying to keep warm. I have overwintered numerous nucs in the Paynes Poly.
The only addition is when I use an eke to feed fondant at Christmas.
Although some may not agree with the fondant treat. (Feed them well in the Autumn etc etc)
My thoughts are better to be looking at food than looking for it.

Had a quick peek in today and there was some condensation on the clear plastic inner cover.

The roofs are too thin, cut off the four lugs and bond a slab of 50mm kingspan onto the roof using foil tape... and the condensation will stop.

Last edited:
The roofs are too thin, cut off the four lugs and bond a slab of 50mm kingspan onto the roof using foil tape... and the condensation will stop.

Yes ... I agree .. what I did was buy one of their Nuc Supers and that sits above the crownboard and is filled with Kingspan - and then the standard roof on top ...

The only addition is when I use an eke to feed fondant at Christmas.
Although some may not agree with the fondant treat. (Feed them well in the Autumn etc etc)

All my overwintering 3 and 5 frame nucs will need additional feeding to over-winter. It's not a treat but essential to avoid starvation.

I'm in the process of making a couple of floors for my payees nuc boxes and I will make a deeper winter roof from Celotex for each while I'm at it. They will cover 50mm insulation and a 6mm polycarb crown board.

I agree - the roofs are too thin. An alternative is that you can buy a small eke from Paynes (to turn them into 14x12s). I fill those with extra insulation (and use them to feed fondant over a feeding hole).

An alternative is that you can buy a small eke from Paynes (to turn them into 14x12s). I fill those with extra insulation (and use them to feed fondant over a feeding hole).

Yes I know, MC, but for me economics and usefulness play an important part, so personally I prefer not to spend around £2,000 on these ekes or even more on supers as mentioned earlier, when I have no other use for them, when around £160 for kingspan does the job, and is permanently part of the roof, no useless loose bits to have store, fondant if needed fits perfectly well under the existing roof.

The mesh floors are also blocked off on all of them with a section of 30mm foam/sponge, and no top feeders used here, as I really like the built in feeders, but the top feeders could be used for insulation purposes as well.

Last edited:
Our beekeepers use during winter this kind of wood fibre boards over the hive. It absorbs moisture and move it though the material. 3 layers of board,
Then ventilation gap and water roof.

12_d3_2.jpg

Yes I know, MC, but for me economics and usefulness play an important part, so personally I prefer not to spend around £2,000 on these ekes or even more on supers as mentioned earlier ...

I can well imagine that at the scale you work on, you don't want to buy extra kit like ekes. I didn't realise they do supers for the nucs. (I've given up on Paynes nucs - I don't like the side feeders!)
Kitta

Our beekeepers use during winter this kind of wood fibre boards over the hive. It absorbs moisture and move it though the material. 3 layers of board,
Then ventilation gap and water roof.

Don't you end up with a soggy mess above the bees?

Don't you end up with a soggy mess above the bees?
That is true. But bees do not eate the boad during winter. But that is why I do not use that board. And it is impossible to clean with fire.

I use 9 mm wood board which penetrate moisture.

I can well imagine that at the scale you work on, you don't want to buy extra kit like ekes. I didn't realise they do supers for the nucs. (I've given up on Paynes nucs - I don't like the side feeders!)
Kitta

I don't either - I cut it out and I now have a 7 frame nuc - at the same time I converted it permanently to 14 x 12 with the eke they sell as all my other hives are 14 x 12 - then the super with insulation in it and a 6mm polycarbonate crown board. It's a useful bit of kit and has a nice colony (who are healthy but not very prolific - in fact they are bloody lazy !!) in it overwintering for the second year in a nuc ... I know - a real beekeeper would consign HM to the gatepost but she's a nice queen and they are lovely gentle bees ... so ... they are sort of pets ...perhap next year they will get it together ?e

Probably with a new queen? :sorry:

I'd like to think they will sort themselves out but I think they are so bloody lazy that they can't even be bothered to supercede her !! Mind you - they were pretty quick to guzzle down the few litres of syrup I gave them to just top up what they had put away themselves ...

It's not that she doesn't lay - it's just that (even given the room and some nice new comb from another colony) she just lays enough to keep her committee humming and hawing enough ... just enough .... no more.

I should really squish her and give her tribe a queen from one of my oher colonies but ... it's not all about the honey is it ?

Latest posts

Back