Condensation in poly hives?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First season using Poly hives but I've noticed high condensation. Is this something that poly hives are known for? Build up is much quicker than my wooden hives so cant be all bad.
I have noticed water at front entrance a few times as running down inside although that seems to have stopped now just wet on underside of lid

Never had that issue, What make are you using?.

No - I have Paynes with 6mm polycarbonate crown boards .. never see any condensation worth mentioning - but, I do have an empty super on top of the hive with 100mm of Kingspan insulation in it and the roof on top.

Are they honey ripening ? Could explain excess moisture in the hive and perhaps you could do with bit more insulation above ?

I had swienty poly hives on pallets for 2 seasons, I found that I had more condensation inside the hives than when I have them on 12" stands.

I have insulation in the top empty super. The hives are Honey Paw poly hives and it started as soon as i put bees in and before honey being ripened.

I have Swienty hives. I've never noticed condensation in the hive but there is a bit on the crown board at the moment after a cold night.
I've never understood why the roof is thinner than the walls (I use additional insulation in the winter).

First season using Poly hives but I've noticed high condensation. Is this something that poly hives are known for? Build up is much quicker than my wooden hives so cant be all bad.
I have noticed water at front entrance a few times as running down inside although that seems to have stopped now just wet on underside of lid

Small colonies do produce condensation as they don't have enough bees.; How many frames of brood do you have.....and are they situated on the fictitious ley lines?

Badly fitting roof? Condensation requires an heat leak of some form

Do you have the inspection tray in?
Small entrance?

Ill fitting crownboard?

Colony is on double brood and completely full. I have done whats been suggested and opened the entrance. These hives don't have an OMF but two options for vented or non vented. I will see how it is next time I go in and see if crown board is still wet. Same thing with the Poly nuc as noticed wet on top cover. Bees don't seem to be bothered as growth is double that of my wooden hives which have been slower to build up.

Double brood on reduced entrance? That should be out from the 7 or 8 frames of brood stage.

Another point a beginner came to get bees last night and she had with her a Maisemore poly with an entrance reducer upside down and secured with 4" screws! Try popping that out with a hive tool!

PH

Double brood on reduced entrance? That should be out from the 7 or 8 frames of brood stage.

PH

Entrance reducer was on widest setting (approx 4") but been completely off the past week or so now. I will see on next inspection if there is an improvement. I just wondered if others had higher humidity in poly hives as obviously they dont breath like a wooden hive. But wooden hives and crown boards do warp so there has to be some moisture there.

Well I have been using them for over 25 years now and never seen wetness inside. At a bit of a loss TBH.

PH

My wooden hives with poly covers have no condensation nor my single poly lang...

I used to get condensation on the flimsy cover board that came with the first round of Paynes polys. Two inches of celotex stuck to the top of the roof solved this.

Latest posts

Back