Compost

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 national
For many years I've used "Bowers" multi purpose compost, and I've always had good results using it. The last 2 years it has become very lumpy, with large solid lumps of peat. So this year I've tried a different "make", It claims to be peat based, but it dries out very quickly, so it must have a high concentration of coir (coconut fibres) in it. All this leads up to my Query....
What compost do you use to seed up your veg ... peas beans sprouts etc?

Bryan

I've used Levington multi purpose with added John Innes this year and it's bee alright. I think most composts have recycled stuff added and it's not for the better, even the Levington had 'strands' in it. I always add garden compost and make a better texture before use.

I've noticed a deterioration in the quality of peat based compost too in recent years. I always mix in a good handful of builders sand with mine.

miracle gro moisture control compost

I use miracle gro moisture control compost 50 ltr.great for starting off my veg from seed.Best to start them off under a cold frame,whatever the weather, until ready to plant out!

I use my own made from my compost heap, wonderfull stuff, i just sieve it for planting seeds.

We use a three way mix: Two parts "multi purpose" from the garden centre, one part mole hill from the lawn and one part garden compost. Run it through a sieve if using it for seeds.

Must admit the garden centre contribution has been getting increasingly lumpy over the last few years.

Mole hills are useful, very fine loam and at the same time introduces seedlings to the soil they will eventually be planted in. Can I say chalk! Don't need a testing kit, Sarsons dropped anywhere simply fizzes.

Last edited:
B&Q's Verve wins Which contests year after year. I have used it for years and it's very good.
120 litre bags are best value - especially on Wednesdays with 10% discount..(for deserving OAPs only)..:sunning:

I have had problem for the past few years with all diffrant composts so this year I tryed to research it on the net and it seams that every one is complaining about every make it's just the look of the draw now adays if is a good bag or not with every make think is down to demand

Mole hills are useful, very fine loam

Brilliant! I use them too; We are on clay here so very heavy soil so mixed with compost either home made or Verve in containers for carrots and parsnips.
Home made compost, never enough. Husband and I fight over it.

B&Q's Verve wins Which contests year after year. I have used it for years and it's very good.
120 litre bags are best value - especially on Wednesdays with 10% discount..(for deserving OAPs only)..:sunning:

:iagree:Most of the other "leading" brands are including 'green' council waste, including plastic sweet wrappers and twigs etc. And we always go for the wrinkly discount.

:iagree:Most of the other "leading" brands are including 'green' council waste, including plastic sweet wrappers and twigs etc. And we always go for the wrinkly discount.

I picked some up from Aldi last year .. unadulterated and hardly composted council waste ... right pile of rubbish. Complained to Aldi at head office level .. I was sent a voucher for full price I paid, very grovelling letter in which I was told they were looking into it ... bought a bag from them this week to try it out ... much better although a higher price than last year. You get what you pay for... I'll be trying the Verve stuff on Wednesday as that sounds like a good deal.

The Verve stuff is consistently good, and the plants do well in it. Go for the big bag as it cheaper even than the deal price on the smaller one, 2 for £x etc.

I use Wickes, 4x70l Bags for £15.

Was the cheapest around in bulk when I looked. I use this for potting on.

Seed Compost, I use Westland/John Innes.

Most of the other "leading" brands are including 'green' council waste, including plastic sweet wrappers and twigs etc.
Vey lucky with us, food waste gets collected separately and it now gets processed into a pretty good compost/soil conditioner, some would say very good. I wouldn't use it neat but it's excellent as a top dressing, mixing into a potting compost, soil conditioner (dug a few bags into the greenhouse soil this year) lt's a very fine grade dark loamy/peaty stuff and looks the part as well although sometimes has a very slight ammonic whiff. at only two and a half quid a bag picked up from the local amenity site it's a bargain.
It's called Merlin's magic (pretty apt considering where it's made) although SWMBO does frown as I keep calling it Merlin's Muck :D

Carmarthen seems to be much better at this than Ceredigion. Never seen any compost at our amenity site in Lampeter though I must admit they are pretty good at swarming all over the car to help you sort your waste out.

I must admit they are pretty good at swarming all over the car to help you sort your waste out.
Well, in all fairness to them, it's a crap job with rubbish money now they're all run by private contractors, if they can find the odd bit or two they can make use of back home or even sell down the club for a few quid, good on them. It's only going to go to landfill anyway.and it does mean they help you empty the car! Last year I managed to get a fridge off them for a warming cabinet - they even carried it back to the car for me.

Pity you don't all live nearer...we have loads of horse/ chicken well rotted manure. One pile is down to looking just like soil. My daughter is using a some of it for her veg.....could be a long time before it all gets used at that rate!

I always, and only use peat free compost from whichever brands are available.

My kitchen/garden waste composter come wormery produces a lovely fine compost, but more work and waiting time - great stuff though

Latest posts

Back