Complete Beginner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittykat

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, I am interested in seeing whether or not I would get on with Beekeeping. This interest was sparked when we visited the New Forest every year for several years and always bought honey from a local Beekeeper. He kept six hives in his large garden and his honey was gorgeous!! He also had a sizeable allotment, which I now appreciate helped the bees to create that gorgeous honey!! I am about to start a full-time job, but I would like a distraction from this that is not work-oriented and would also like some bee-oriented-inspiration to help me start writing again. I have developed massive writer's block, I have been trying to dislodge it using more ordinary means, but to no avail so far...I am sure bees will make an interesting topic to write about!! I like to write fiction. I have a cat called Millie, she is black and white and very beautiful. But that's enough about me. I have never tried this before, I used to be terrified of bees, but I am starting to grow up...useful info and any offers of practical experience will be welcomed.

Hi, I live too far away to be of any help, but I am sure some fine person will give you a day out looking in their bees! If you can source a bee suit from somewhere that would be a real help to anyone who may be able to help you out
E

Welcome to beekeeping. My advice is to contact a local beekeeping association (google) and perhaps you can visit a few hives.

Welcome to beekeeping. My advice is to contact a local beekeeping association (google) and perhaps you can visit a few hives.

good post - make sure you're comfortable with a few thousand bees flying around you're head before you spend any money!

good post - make sure you're comfortable with a few thousand bees flying around you're head before you spend any money!

And bumping into you, either through curiousity or annoyance :)
Get a decently thick and beetight bee suit. I use low cost cotton ones with round veil. Others may have varying preferences.

Contact your local Beekeeping Associations - if you need help with that ask here.

Do this FAST because most Associations only have one or two site meetings left this year before the end of the season.
Before you bother further with bees, you need to ensure you are comfortable with them.
The Association should have protective suits available for visitors.
Don't spend any money on beekeeping until you know that you are not phobic!

After that, the next step would be to get yourself on an Introductory course of beekeeping education - maybe 10 classes weekly through the winter.
No rush to buy any kit at this point.

Hi Enrico, thanks for the advice. I need to phone somebody local and then I should be able to get the ball rolling. I'll let you know what happens. Cheers, Kathy.

Hi davnig, thanks for the advice. I won't be spending any money yet awhile, as I am just starting back at work, and I have a few bills to clear up...But also, like you say, I need to get a feel for it. I just started volunteering at a smallholding near where I live. I needed some fresh air! They have llamas, sheep, ponies, horses, a donkey, 3 dogs, and are getting 3 Guernsey cattle and 50 hens!! I learnt to love camping back in 2001, that was in the New Forest, and this is where I saw a different side of life. It kind of whets your appetite for something different...but whether I can tolerate bees by the thousand remains to be seen!!

Fine someone local and catch up to have a look in a hive- it's the best way to see f you will like it!

We had a lady wanting to take up beekeeping in our association. She bought all the best gear. I handed her a frame of bees at the association apiary I thought she was going to pass out. They were very gentle bees as well. I took the frame off her and off she went never to be heard from again.
So if you can get to handle the bees before buying anything just to see if you like it.

Craig

Hi, thanks for the advice. I will be sending a few messages and making a few phone calls, and I'll let you know what comes back. Thanks again, Kittykat.

Thanks Donald, I will be making a few calls and emailing a few people, then we'll see what transpires!! Thanks again, Kittykat.

Hi Craig, thanks for the advice. I won't buy anything just yet, as I realise that not everybody can tolerate bees crawling all over them!! Getting stung is not something I'm used to. It happened to me once, when I was three!! When I tried to outrun a bee at nursery. Hopefully my pain threshold has increased since then, as I did scream the place down. Thanks again, Ciao, Kathy.

Latest posts

Back