Complete Beginner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem0688

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Ok, so I am a complete bee keeping beginner looking to start it as a hobby in my garden. I have read up about it but just have a few questions .......:eek:

What is the best type of hive? I have heard a national is best / easier to handle, but is cedar wood better?

What is the best way to get bees for your hive?

Any good websites or suppliers anyone recommends? Any complete hive and bee kits available?

thanks! :)

Buy a National more universal, Cedar is best but not essential, contact a chap here called Hivemaker for your hive.

Get your bees from an experienced Bee Keeper or local Association, buy a book called Ted Hooper's Guide to Bees and Honey and read 20 times, then use for reference. You won't understand most of it at 1st but it will all become more and more familiar to you.

Buying complete kits can be expensive and if bought flat packed you would be better to get and experienced bee keeper to help you assemble it.

Busy Bee

Ok, so I am a complete bee keeping beginner looking to start it as a hobby in my garden. I have read up about it but just have a few questions .......:eek:

What is the best type of hive? I have heard a national is best / easier to handle, but is cedar wood better?

What is the best way to get bees for your hive?

Any good websites or suppliers anyone recommends? Any complete hive and bee kits available?

thanks! :)

Hi there. There is no such thing as best hive. It is a matter of personal preference. Nationals are probably the most popular though.

Thornes is one of the biggest suppliers in beekeeping. They do cheap hives if you are on a budget, although I wouldn't advise anything other than cedar (unless you want polystyrene). There are also members on here such as Tom Bick and Hivemaker that do really nice looking hives. Cedar is generally known to be the best wood for hives. Some people here use polystyrene hives.

I'll let someone else advise you on the best ways of putting bees in hives as I am not very experienced myself. Enjoy!

Welcome to the forum.

You have asked so many questions and no doubt will receive lots of differing opinions- but I think if you are at a fairly early stage of your learning you would be better joining a local association as well. Good to make contacts that can not only advise you of local conditions, but would also be able to help you in a practical capacity especially when (and not if!) things go wrong.

Having said that, ask away here!

Busy Bee,

Err, although I am sure the hives made by Hivemaker are second to none, this person is in Herts. Tom Bick would be a much closer contact! But Hivemaker would fit the bill perfectly, and could supply it complete with bees!

Goggle to find suppliers or there is a thread on here somewhere where 'Blackbrood' listed all known outlets on a map.

gem0688,

Welcome to the forum.

Before that stage (getting a hive and bees), I would recommend contacting your local BKA, doing a bee keeping course and getting some practical experience handling the bees.

Presumably you are looking at framed hives? I would suggest you take local advice on hive format, but the majority run Nationals, in one format or another, in the UK. Materials are buyer's choice, on price generally.

Regards, RAB

When you contact your local assoc. ask which hives they use - I am doing a course 45 minutes from home and they all seem to be on Langstroth! It is always useful to know someone can give a brood frame in an emergency...and Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back