Combining two hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I’m looking to combine two hives, but best way to but a single brood onto a hive with two supers. I can‘t do it the other way round as the single brood is in a different part of the garden, which I use for nucs. Now wanting to combine with a queenless hive.

You can unite over two supers no problem.
I have seen you say that before Dani, but isn't obvious to the uninitiated what you mean. Would you for example put a queen excluder over the supers before you add the brood box on top and then sort everything out once combined? Not criticising just trying to point out that it may sound confusing without a bit more detail😄

assume bottom BB Q-?
Remove crownboard
Lay down newspaper (not daily mail or sun)
put down QX
put Q+ BB on top
replace crownboard and roof
wait a day or two
consolidate both BB's
Yes but if the bottom hive has supers the QX and newspapers goes on top of the supers with the single brood on top.
I have seen you say that before Dani, but isn't obvious to the uninitiated what you mean. Would you for example put a queen excluder over the supers before you add the brood box on top and then sort everything out once combined? Not criticising just trying to point out that it may sound confusing without a bit more detail😄
Yes and Yes. I presumed Rock Chick might come back if she didn't understand

Yes I understand, QX + newspaper on supers then BB with queen on top, once alls up and running just move. My only worry is this queen less hive. I took the queen out last week, as she was failing badly, pepperpot laying and mostly drone. I’ve just been in not to remove queen cells, but not one made. Now looking at the remaining brood pattern I’m guessing there was no viable eggs to use, as she’s mostly laying drone. And to had to the mix, they so bad tempered today. The whole hive just covered me. Not happy bees at all.
so thats a worry in putting a fabulous laying queen hoping they except her.
and they said beekeepering a a nice relaxing hobby 🤔
Yes but if the bottom hive has supers the QX and newspapers goes on top of the supers with the single brood on top.

Yes and Yes. I presumed Rock Chick might come back if she didn't understand

That's why I said remove crownboard then put newspaper with QX then Q+ brood box
Crownboard usually goes above the supers 🤭

Thanks everyone, just trying to make sure everyone understood! not worthy

In continuation of this topic once united and if you only want a single brood box do you then remove the bottom box?? ....then shake any bees into the box left?

Yes You consolidate the boxes by leaving all the frames with brood in the box and tipping the bees into it then taking the other away. Keep the frames if they are usable

no in my opinion, some people say that it is better to put the Q at the bottom so the bees without a queen do not have to fly through that box first to go out. I have done it both ways never seen any difference. I do try and put the Q at the bottom, but not always. I also don't bother with a QE just newspaper as don't have time to go back.

but if no q cells drawn having removed q, i would smell a rat at that....they would normally draw QCs regardless of her laying pattern...i may try a frame of eggs in case they were superseding and there is a virgin in there?

Latest posts

Back