Combining and moving concurrently ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5 - 8
Hello my wise friends - I need some more advice please.

In recent months I managed to combine two colonies into one, using the newspaper method, and those bees are now going great guns.

I now have another Q- colony, and a small colony about 50 metres away (Same site as the last swarm I 'captured'). The swarm had been resident in a nuc for about two weeks before I've had chance to move them, and on Monday I put them in a full size brood box (With LOTS of insulation as dummy boards) ready for the merge.

Unfortunately I don't have opportunity on this occasion to move them three miles away for several weeks, and really wanted to combine quickly with the Q- colony.

SO

I've thought this through as best I can, and have left the Q- hive in original location. I've placed the moved Q+ colony on top, separated by newspaper. Now, I know this may well work for the merge part, (Done it once - so now I'm an expert :D) but my question is will the act of merging, and having to chew through paper also act to assist their relocation - i.e. stop them flying to the old site, or is there something else I can do to reset their navigation ? (Blocking the entrance etc). The Q+ entrance was originally facing North, but will now share the Q- entrance facing South if that helps.

All advice gratefully considered.

They will most likely be OK.

Check it out by leaving a nuc hive, with some drawn frames, on the old site? Doubt if it collects many bees.

I'm sure they will be absolutely fine. I can't say I ever bother to move them close together prior to merging.
Cazza

Well, I opened up today to check how they were getting on - and nothing has happened :eek: The newspaper was still beautifully intact, so I have put a few more small tears in, to see what happens next.

I suppose on the plus side, they've now been shut in for a few days, so relocation should be less of an issue ;)

Latest posts

Back