Comb in feed compartment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I set up a Warnholz mating nuc with a pulled virgin Q and a cupful of bees last week.
They've built comb in the feed compartment - is this a problem?
I've removed the plastic 'fence' that separates the plastic frames from the feed section so that the queen has free access to the whole nuc.
No sign of eggs yet.

:blush5:

Oh well, looks like I'll be shaking them all into the correct chamber and re-installing the QE tomorrow then.

Had this problem, years ago, slide up the ventilation slide at the front of the box,( its too cold for them). So the gap at the front is only 3-5mm( very, very small airgap), You`ll see that the bees will come back to the front of the box. I dont give them any ventilation at all now, and I have no problems!!!

Hopefully sorted now with QE back in place.

Taffy - is that on an Apidea? The warnholz doesn't have much in the way of ventilation options.

With apideas and Keilers comb in the feeder can be an issue. Often I'd say. It isn't a problem as long as the queen hasn't access to lay in it.

It doesn't seem to mean they are out of space as it's generally built first, possibly that before the queen needs space to lay the bees see it as a lazy way of storing the feed below?

Latest posts

Back