Colony suddenly become aggresive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Hornet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my first post and as I only started beekeeping about 2 months ago please be gentle with me!

I have 2 hives, one from a nuc obtained from a respected local beekeeper which is now in full swing, 7-8 frames of brood, 2 stores and a super starting to fill up nicely.

The second hive was obtained about 3 weeks ago when I was asked to collect a swarm a few miles away. Today during a routine inspection I counted 3 frames of brood, a couple of frames of stores and I actually spotted the queen. Needless to say I was feeling chuffed. The bees seemed quite calm and were easy to handle.

However inspecting the older colony things were far from straightforward. I was finding (and removing) quite a lot of queen cells (7-8), both capped and uncapped. I also came across a queen just emerging which I removed. As I was working the hive the bees became more and more aggressive - MUCH more so than previously. Despite wearing a full suit and gloves they were stinging me frequently. By the time I'd put everything back together again I'd gathered at least 14 stings and the bees were following me right up the garden, about 100 yds away. They seemed determined to get at me.

I have to say for the first time I felt quite threatened and unnerved. The weather was warm, sunny and still and being deep in the country there is lots of blossom about so there are plenty of stores in the hive.

Any ideas what could have caused this behaviour and can I expect it to continue?

well to see a queen emerging would suggest your old one has gone already, and you have just gone and removed all their queens, good reason to be a bit pi$$ed off wouldn't you say

I'd buy a better suit if youre getting stung through it before next time.

well to see a queen emerging would suggest your old one has gone already, and you have just gone and removed all their queens, good reason to be a bit pi$$ed off wouldn't you say
I must admit I haven't seen the queen since she was installed but given I'm very new I guess that doesn't mean a lot in itself. However, with all the queen cells being created you could well be right and there I am, destroying what I need for a new queen. Maybe I'll leave them next time and see what happens. I agree they would have good cause to have a go at me!!

Did they still have eggs.
I didn't see eggs, but given the number of bees all over the brood frames and their aggressive temperament I didn't look too closely. I saw capped and uncapped brood though.

I'd buy a better suit if youre getting stung through it before next time.

Well it seemed alright at the time I bought it but maybe I need something heavier weight. I got it from a well known supplier on eBay, are the more expensive ones better? If so, in what way better?

If you have removed all the queen cells and killed the emerging queen (and the likelihood is that your old queen has gone off with a swarm) unless you have some eggs in the hive they have no way of raising another queen.

So ... you need to check to see if there are eggs present - if not then you have three options ... beg a frame or part frame of eggs from another beekeeper, buy in a queen or combine them with your other hive .. otherwise they will just dwindle away.

Lessons learned are always valuable. We've all done something daft at times !

As for the suit ... bees can sting through all but the heaviest material - a long sleeved shirt and trousers under the suit will stop the stings getting at your skin. If bees are getting inside your suit you need to find out how ... and sew it up. I use marigold gloves with nitrile disposable over the top .. my bees are pretty good but I did a major hive change last week and they were a bit upset - I ended up with two pairs of nitriles over the marigolds and that stopped all bar the kamikaze bees - So ... three pairs of nitriles over marigoilds and duct tape round the cuffs to stop the crawlers should see you fairly bomb proof.

Now ... go and look for those eggs ....

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and suggestions, this has been an interesting and useful exercise, even if the end product is a queenless colony. You live and learn!

Now ... go and look for those eggs ....

I think I'll leave it until tomorrow when hopefully they will have calmed down a bit. I do know a local beekeeper who has some spare colonies so I'm sure I can beg a frame or two from him. Alternatively I can use a frame from my new colony once it's better established.

I wouldn't leave them too long!

A frame of eggs now would show they are queenless if they start to make an emergency queen cell. You can then decide whether to let them raise one this way or buy in a queen.

If you leave them queenless you may find you get laying workers, at which point there is little you can do to save the colony.

So ... you need to check to see if there are eggs present - if not then you have three options ... beg a frame or part frame of eggs from another beekeeper, buy in a queen or combine them with your other hive ..

Perhaps easier to 1. check if any queen cells missed, they often are. 2. If none use a frame with eggs from your now laying swarm. Mark where eggs are and knock down any queen cells drawn outside of this area after about a week. Not perfect solution but will give them a new queen started from a "hatched" egg.
If your swarm bees are nice and gentle then possibly good option, although bear in mind you are now "breeding" bees with a known tendency to swarm.
But rescue first and worry about that later.

Yes, If you can't find a missed QC get into your laying swarm and get some eggs. You don't need a whole frame full, just cut a small square out and slot it into a corresponding hole you have made in your Q- hive.
Never ever cut out QCs without ascertaining the stays quo.

Latest posts

Back