Colony Collected fom compost Bin- pics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11, mix of National & 14x12 + 2 Nuc
Hi,

Reading a recent post about bee's in a compost Bin prompted me to finally get round to posting this thread.

An old work colleague got in touch about 4 weeks ago and said that some honey bees had taken up residence in her compost bin. I was a little dubious at first as I had only ever heard of Bumbles in compost bins.

Anyway went over and checked it out and ended up cutting out 7 combs which were suspended from the lid of the Bin. The bees had been there approx 3-4 weeks and the comb contained brood in all stages across 5 combs and 1 comb containing mainly stores. the 7th comb was small and contained just a few eggs.

After placing the majority of the comb into empty frames using elastic bands and filling the rest of the hive with 2 drawn frames + frames with foundation I placed the hive on top of the compost Bin for all the foragers to return. The new comb was so soft that I damaged it a little in places but it went pretty well considering this was the first time I'd done anything like this.

They are now doing really well. They have progressed onto 10 frames (9 brood) now and have drawn the natural comb I cut out all the way to edge of those original frames. Their temperament is really docile too, they were even calm when we were cutting the comb from the compost Bin and brushing the bees into the Brood box!

Must admit I enjoyed doing it too as it was quite easy going! Not sure I'd feel that way about having to do the same for a long established colony in someones wall, chimney, roof space though........ ;)

Well done nice job, It amazes me finding the chewed up elastic bands outside the hive when they have fixed the comb to the frames

Superb:) I was hoping or something similar a couple of days ago but alas it was not to be.
I have had 2 swarms from compost bins now and both were very easy going. Maybe they are gassed and maybe the reason they are there is not only the warmth but the fact the gas from rotten veg gasses the dredded V;-) Smart them there bees............

Remember this ? :)

Randomshots014.jpg

VM

cor what amazing pics - my mind boggles at the thought of rubber bands pinging in the brood box :biggrinjester:

:iagree:very nice swarm looks like they was ready to stay put was the bees yours or did you get a call out
doh must read the orignal tread before i make comment

Last edited:
Well done nice job, It amazes me finding the chewed up elastic bands outside the hive when they have fixed the comb to the frames

It was odd too how mostly the horizontal bands were removed after the first week followed by the vertical ones the week after?

Because the bands were multi coloured the grass outside the hive looked like someone had dropped their 'liquorish bootlaces' or 'jelly worms' sweet packet on the ground! :biggrinjester:

what amazes me is how they manage to drag the elastic bands out.

Superb:) I was hoping or something similar a couple of days ago but alas it was not to be.
I have had 2 swarms from compost bins now and both were very easy going. Maybe they are gassed and maybe the reason they are there is not only the warmth but the fact the gas from rotten veg gasses the dredded V;-) Smart them there bees............

I think it was your post that reminded me to do this one so thank you.... ;)

Maybe we've stumbled upon a new direction for the future treatment of varroa. Then again I wonder what the honey would taste like......:eek:

what amazes me is how they manage to drag the elastic bands out.

especially when there is a bee on each end pulling in opposite directions!!:D

Stunningly neat. As for pulling stuff out of the hive, I've fed fondant in 'clingfilm sausages' directly on the top bars. Hysterical watching long pieces of cling film being dragged out of the entrance

Latest posts

Back