collecting a swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dookie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know I'm going to get my first call soon to collect a swarm. I just want to know the best procedure because it will be my first time.

I was going to have a poly box and a sheet, knock the swarm into the box any that land on the sheet get put in the box as well, then leave the box till night and the seal it up and take it away.

How does that sound?

I was told to use a cardboard box or a skep rather than a plastic box because the bees like to cluster at the top (which is the bottom when to box is upside-down!) and they find it hard to cling on to the smooth surface.

If you've got the queen in the box, the bees that are left outside will go in after her (probably) so you don't need to gather them up.

Hi Dookie,
Don't be too hasty to leave as I had one that did not want to go in despite having put their big fat mated queen in the box. They were exhausted through starvation as they perked up once they were hived and fed. Also, once you are sure you have got the queen in there by them fanning and going in (or preferably seen her) put a QX over the entrance, so that you don't come back to an empty box. However, if it is one of those circular ones make sure it actually works because some of them don't let the workers pass either! Good luck.

So you need
1 box - I use a nuc box sometimes with and sometimes without frames.
1 ventilated crown board for box - which you can fasten down.
1 Ladder - because they're never where they're described to be.
1 pair sharp secutares and potentially 1 saw
1 can Faust/Neutradol or similar.
1 smallish bucket (I have a 5litre ex growmore bucket) and/or small margarine tub
1 smoker
1 small sheet - enough to cover the nuc box
In ideal circumstances you put the nuc box under the bees, knock them off the branch they're hanging on, move the box 3 feet to the side, put the crown board on leaving a 1/2" gap, spray the branch with Faust, wait 45 minutes. Screw lid down and walk away with bees.. right :)
More likely you can just reach the branch if you're standing on top of the ladder, but you can't actually cut it.. you are allowed to prune a few twigs, enough to get the bucket under the swarm although they're spread out along the branch so only about 1/3 are going to land in the bucket - the rest will land on you/take to the air. So you knock them off, take the 1/3 in the bucket and put them in the Nuc box, but didn't get the queen.. Wait 5 minutes for them to recluster on the branch, knock them into the bucket again, getting the queen this time, put them in the nuc, go back up the ladder shake the bees off and spray with faust putting a good cloud in the air. Wait 1.5 hours for 99% of the bees to go in the box. put the lid on then have to cover with a sheet to keep the 50 or so on the outside under wraps whilst you transport them.
Then again they could be 25 ft up an old apple tree, where a ladder wont reach, but you can if you're carefull get them into the bucket if you're above them.. then have to climb down ....
Or they're 10ft up on top of a smooth 8" round post where you can't put a box/bucket above them..
Or they could be exhausted and cold in the middle of a lawn.. this is where the frames come in, as (assuming they're not too cold to move) they will walk into a box on its side with frames in, and can be encouraged to do so with a little smoke..
So nothing to it really :)

quote:
Originally posted by vortex
so you need
image.jpg

1 honey bucket with mesh over drain hole for ventilation, inside one smaller bucket, smoker, hive tool, fuel bag, water spray, secateurs and lid. Bee-suit in separate bag.
On arrival at swarm:
Spray swarm with water and put large bucket under swarm and shake them in, close bucket.
Have cup of tea with owner and chat about the marvels of bees.
Go back to swarm site and spray any remaining cluster with water and shake into small bucket.
Bang both buckets on floor to get bees into the bottom and empty small bucket into large bucket and close lid.
Ask owner for a kitchen spray cleaner and spray old swarm site or cut off and removed the branch.
Keep swarm in bucket in a cool well ventilated area for 24hrs before re-housing in a hive- none have so far decided to abscond.
Spray water limits bees flying and provides moisture.

Back