Co-Op gives new beekeepers £100?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had a couple of new beekeepers round to collect nucs, they asked for receipt (which I have no problems giving anyway)...they said it was to claim back £100 from the CO-OP?

I have not heard of this until now, anyone else come across it?

That'll be for all of us who signed up for the Co-op's 'Plan Bee' and didn't email in challenging their ethics, then?

I had a couple of new beekeepers round to collect nucs, they asked for receipt (which I have no problems giving anyway)...they said it was to claim back £100 from the CO-OP?

No. I'm part of the Plan Bee intake and haven't heard of this. Our kit has been provided by our course provider. We haven't had to buy anything.

That'll be for all of us who signed up for the Co-op's 'Plan Bee' and didn't email in challenging their ethics, then?

What issue do you have with them?

There are plenty of replies in the thread i posted the link to as well.

Might be more helpful if the Co-Op just supplied all new beekeepers with a New Zealand queen and package of bee's,instead of giving them £100.

Last edited:
There are plenty of replies in the thread i posted the link to as well.

Might be more helpful if the Co-Op just supplied all new beekeepers with a New Zealand queen and package of bee's,instead of giving them £100.

Other than this anecdotal evidence which could well be the result of a misunderstanding by the customers or chancers trying their luck do we have any proof that Co-op is giving new bee keepers £100?

It's not mentioned on their site and it would seem reasonsable to assume that such a tempting financial incentive would be publicised. Their 'take up bee keeping' link points to the relevant association for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As far as I have seen Plan Bee participants are given equipment and training funded by the Co-op and delivered by a bee keeping group (in my case Urban Bees). We didn't buy our own hives and then get money back from the Co-op they were provided for us.

Thank you for the link. It's over a hundred pages and 1000 posts long so it may take a while to get through it all. I did find '...Lions Den' and his contributions and responses so I have a slightly better understanding of why some people have issues.

Its a pity we could'nt buy new Alien strains of Humans to replace the existing one's...the way we fight on this planet if we were bees we would be replaced immediately.

Busy Bee

Did you not read my first post?

they said it was to claim back £100 from the CO-OP?

Other than this anecdotal evidence which could well be the result of a misunderstanding by the customers or chancers trying their luck do we have any proof that Co-op is giving new bee keepers £100?
It's not mentioned on their site and it would seem reasonsable to assume that such a tempting financial incentive would be publicised. Their 'take up bee keeping' link points to the relevant association for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As far as I have seen Plan Bee participants are given equipment and training funded by the Co-op and delivered by a bee keeping group (in my case Urban Bees). We didn't buy our own hives and then get money back from the Co-op they were provided for us.

Yes I have read your post. I made reference to it in my post. Your original question was answered by me. No, I have not heard of new bee keepers being able to claim back £100. Others may have a different experience but as yet no-one has provided an example of this.

I am not casting doubt on your story I am expressing doubt over your customers and their claim that they can claim back £100 for their hive.

If someone can produce evidence of this claim than that's fine and we can discuss it as a fact rather than speculation.

OK then they where lying!

If they just wanted a receipt they could have had one rather than make up a story.

or they are totaly confused, and not going to get £100 back.

I have received the bee friendly seeds the co-op give away and contacted them regarding damaged sugar. I received a response stating I could apply for a community grant, as it appeared to be for groups or communitys I didnt bother. I have enclosed the response with a link if any of the community bee keepers want to apply

Hello Phil,

Many thanks for your email.

We have looked into this with the relevant people in food and as we don’t get problems with masses of damaged sugar packs there isn’t anything on place for this.

However, you may be able to apply to the community fund grant for funding for this. For detail on eligibility and how to apply please visit www.co-operative.coop/communityfund

Many thanks

Saika Jabbar

Latest posts

Back