Cluster of bees under hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all,

I got my nucleus of bees just over a week ago and all seems well so far. However, I've noticed that there is a small cluster of bees underneath the hive, clinging on to the outside of the mesh floor. There's been a little group there since day 1.

I regularly help out at another beek's apiary to get experience and I've never noticed this on any of hers. Is this normal? Seems strange as you'd think they'd have got the hang of mastering the entrance by now as the others are whizzing in and out with no trouble.

Hi Beezy,
Someone was asking about the same thing the other day, and one possibility suggested was that the queen could be there. worth a check!
another reason was not having a landing board for the bee's, so they fly under the entrance and cluster on the OMF.

Last edited:
Hi Mr B,

Thanks for your reply. The Q is definitely safely in the hive as I saw her on one of the frames on Saturday when I did the weekly check. Perhaps it's because I don't have a landing board then; although when I watch them flying in and out I don't see any landing underneath.

I have the same, but Queen inside and I do have a landing board. Maybe they just like it there!

I also notice about ten bees walking around on the floor. As this is in my garden I have to watch where I am walking so as not to squash any 'gound bees'.

I have the same, but Queen inside and I do have a landing board. Maybe they just like it there!

I also notice about ten bees walking around on the floor. As this is in my garden I have to watch where I am walking so as not to squash any 'gound bees'.

check to see if the ground bees wings are OK, the could have deformed wing virus or K wing...both can be a sign of high Varroa mite

cluster Bees, yes i have had it, normally young disorientated young bees on first flight, worse with Thornes econmony/bees on a budget OMF floors as they allow bees to see directly the underside of floor from where the varroa board slots in

I did have a good look-see at my 'gound bees' and if you try to pick one up - they fly off ! I think they just like to walk once in a while :)

Interesting about the OMF as I have that and it might be worth sliding in the inspection plate and brushing the cluster off in to a cup and placing them by the front of the hive.

Latest posts

Back