Clover types... question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naxx3

New Bee
Reaction score
So... I got this thought today, I'd wondered if the various types of clover will all bloom and have their nectar flows at the same time?

This seems relevant to me. I like the idea of mixing something with at least one type of clover, with the other things not blooming all at the same time to create flow insurance, and extra stability. So that's part of what brought this up, but it was also a genuine question if the different clover types are much different from one another (?)

Its interesting right?

For me I love the feel of independence and freedom that self sufficiency and agriculture can give you. So even if there wasn't a lot of nectar flow harnessed from this type of questioning, it could still be relevant for other livestock besides bees.

Some of the types of clover I'd heard of, but its amazing that when I internet search it there's other kinds too besides the white clover, red clover. (Crimson, Alsilke, Siberian, others...)

(Not sure if there's any studies on how many acres of various flowering plants can support X number of hives also?)

It is my understanding (and I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) is that red clover (not crimson clover, that is something different) is not great for honey bees as the petals are a little long for them to gain easy access. If crimson clover is mown, it tends to reflower on shorter stems and produce shorter petals which are then accessible and it becomes a useful source.
White and crimson clover are just great all the time, although my girls seem to be very picky about the time of day they will use it.

For time of day they use it read correct temperature!

I like what we call White Dutch, Trifolium repens. It's a perennial. It spreads by runners and seed. The bees work it readily when conditions are correct. After cutting, it grows back quickly and re-blooms...and the bees work it again. Seems the blossoms appear almost before the leaves. Others such as Ladino and Alsike don't re-bloom after harvest.

Following on from the above point Crimson Clover Trifolium incarnatum is an annual so therefore it's not quite as preferable perennial clovers. It does flower early on in the year which can be a benefit.
With my limited understanding of clovers Whites are split into three groups, small leaved (wild type, a real perennial) and then medium and large leaved varieties which would be commonly used in agricultural fields due to the higher dry matter yield than small leaved varieties.

This is our standard clover, which is like a weed as far as I know. I'm not sure what type it is. Tends to be early middle, to middle summer flowering.

Attachments

• IMG_20210204_113028006.jpg
    IMG_20210204_113028006.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Just to add white clover produces nectar well at temps around 20c + with relitive humidity and mainly in the afternoon.
White clover is one of our really good honey flows up here. IMG_20200716_203030.jpg
Repens is if not the most world wide perennial flower you will find.

Just to add white clover produces nectar well at temps around 20c + with relitive humidity and mainly in the afternoon.
White clover is one of our really good honey flows up here. Repens is if not the most world wide perennial flower you will find.
I read somewhere on this forum a few months ago that Crimson Clover, (Trifolium incarnatum), commonly used as green manure so not usually allowed to flower, is excellent forage for honey bees. This link is quite interesting: Monday morning myth: honey bees don’t like crimson clover – Honey Bee Suite
I think it is not a native wildflower so I intend sowing it in a regular border, not wildlower lawn, in case it proves invasive

I like what we call White Dutch, Trifolium repens. It's a perennial. It spreads by runners and seed. The bees work it readily when conditions are correct. After cutting, it grows back quickly and re-blooms...and the bees work it again. Seems the blossoms appear almost before the leaves. Others such as Ladino and Alsike don't re-bloom after harvest.

Great Plant, dairy cattle enjoy it too....
We include 8% Dutch White clover (Repens) in all our pasture mixes here.... Does very well under our conditions...

I read somewhere on this forum a few months ago that Crimson Clover, (Trifolium incarnatum), commonly used as green manure so not usually allowed to flower, is excellent forage for honey bees. This link is quite interesting: Monday morning myth: honey bees don’t like crimson clover – Honey Bee Suite
I think it is not a native wildflower so I intend sowing it in a regular border, not wildlower lawn, in case it proves invasive
Thanks for the link.
Personally I would prefer thistles in a wildflower lawn or a field. IMG_20180624_104828.jpg
They love the thistles:).
They can forage on these for such a long time through out the day.

Thanks for the link.
Personally I would prefer thistles in a wildflower lawn or a field.
They love the thistles:).
They can forage on these for such a long time through out the day.
That's interesting Curly, I've found other bees and insects like creeping thistle but never honey bees. However, don't intend planting a large patch of thistle just to see!

That's interesting Curly, I've found other bees and insects like creeping thistle but never honey bees. However, don't intend planting a large patch of thistle just to see!
Thanks to Curly, I saved a thistle in my "budding" meadow whilst digging out many borage plants as they are so invasive.

Are they your own thistles Curly, or on common land?
Friends farmland and common land the bees can fly to the summit if they want to.. I wonder what there View would be.
I do top them the thistles in places.

Ted Hooper’s book , Guide to Bees & and Honey, gives forage sources and a typical number of colonies / acre that they will support. Pages 221-238. He says white clover (Trifolium repens) 1 colony / acre but red clover (Trifolium pratense) 2.5 / acre. He favours the white clover.

Ted Hooper’s book , Guide to Bees & and Honey, gives forage sources and a typical number of colonies / acre that they will support. Pages 221-238. He says white clover (Trifolium repens) 1 colony / acre but red clover (Trifolium pratense) 2.5 / acre. He favours the white clover.
I’ve read that the red clover is a favourite of bumble bees. Let’s not forget them.

Latest posts

Back