Cloudy honey - filtering

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How do people like to filter their honey?
I've strained it through a double strainer, but this year's harvest is very cloudy.
Do most of you filter beyond that, and if so how?

Mine was filtered correctly but looked cloudy... It is crystallising already. Still selling. Unsure why cloudy though....bum year all round!

Incipient crystallisation.

Take a jar and warm it and see what happens... as it give it a good warm.

PH

I've strained it through a double strainer, but this year's harvest is very cloudy.

Only way is to keep the honey bouchet in warm water (50C) that it mets back again. Then sieve it. After sieving put a grease paper on the sufrace. It catch off small particles and air foam.

Lets deal with your honey first, it could be cloudy because of pollen in it or minute air bubbles, or because it has been stored for a while and has started to crystalise. Try putting one jar in a microwave without the lid for about a minute and see if it is any clearer if so it is due to crystalisation. This can occur according the type of sugar collected by the bees ie OSR and Ivy will crystalise quickly. It is useful to bottle your honey when it is warm and into warm jars.

If you wish to further filter your a honey you can as I do put it through a fine muslin cloth . I usually fold it so it is going through 2 layers. Put the cloth back into the hive above the crown board and let the bees clean it of residual honey.

Sherwood. You cannot be serious. Microwaves and microcloths.

You cannot handle hundreds of kilos in microwave oven.

Sieve should be quite coarse because many honey does not go through the tight sieve.

try to be practical.

Sherwood. You cannot be serious. Microwaves and microcloths.

You cannot handle hundreds of kilos in microwave oven.

Sieve should be quite coarse because many honey does not go through the tight sieve.

try to be practical.

The beekeeper has 4 hives and is unlikely to have 100s of kilos of honey to deal with and the microwave was only a test on one pot. Please read my answers more closely before criticising them. Most beekeepers on this forum have 4 or less hives and are hobby beekeepers and deal with small quantities of honey (even smaller than usual this year in the UK.

You do give good advise sometimes but what is relevant to your situation is not always pertinent to either the UK or the circumstances in question.

You may put 20 kg in a bucket and you get a good quality in melting.

I have meted too honey in microwave. It heats up unevenly and if it mets somewher too much, it it gets a odor of melted wax.

If you have 10 litre buchets, you may soak it in warm water bath. It takes 2-3 hours when it is ready to be filtered.

It needs works but the honey and its aroma is valuable too.

You may put 20 kg in a bucket and you get a good quality in melting.

I have meted too honey in microwave. It heats up unevenly and if it mets somewher too much, it it gets a odor of melted wax.

If you have 10 litre buchets, you may soak it in warm water bath. It takes 2-3 hours when it is ready to be filtered.

It needs works but the honey and its aroma is valuable too.

Again you dont read the content properly the test honey was one jar of 1/2 a kilo in weight with no wax present and was a TEST only go away Finman I cant be bothered with irrelevant criticism.

Mine was filtered correctly but looked cloudy... It is crystallising already. Still selling. Unsure why cloudy though....bum year all round!

In one extraction I took of I have had jars of honey that have turned cloudy immediately whilst others from the same batch are as clear as can be. Others locally are experiencing the same thing.

Mine was extracted on a very warm day, so was very runny, through coarse and fine sieves. Very cloudy. Heating, then settling, a small batch made no difference, so I guess that it just contains lots of pollen this year.

If you want clear honey then instruct your bees to only collect the right sugars in the nectar.

Alternatively pasteurise the honey and filter it so its just a sugar syrup and then it will taste like the bland crap they sell in supermarkets for a quid a jar.

As to why some jars go cloudy and others don't in the same 'batch', there can be a large variation of nectar source within supers, and even within frames or areas of a frame.

Heating helps but you can quickly wreck a honey and lace it with HMF if you don't know what you are doing.

If you want clear honey then instruct your bees to only collect the right sugars in the nectar.

Alternatively pasteurise the honey and filter it so its just a sugar syrup and then it will taste like the bland crap they sell in supermarkets for a quid a jar.

As to why some jars go cloudy and others don't in the same 'batch', there can be a large variation of nectar source within supers, and even within frames or areas of a frame.

Heating helps but you can quickly wreck a honey and lace it with HMF if you don't know what you are doing.

Exactly!!!! the cloudiness is part of the "Terroir" and "Provenance".

Striving for uniformity is what supermarkets do. Dont fall for it.
Honey prizes should be on taste and smell primarily, visual appearance should be secondary IMHO.

Mine going to Honey show - bugger it... will see what they say ... Oops that extra wine with barbecue celebrating new home may have been mistake-

LOL Like the style here.... go away...lol

Creaming honey solves a lot of issues and the consumer loves it.

PH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back