Filter for wax cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
First time extraction and I know about cutting off the wax cappings first, but I am looking at videos and thinking people dont get all of the wax off, theres a few bits left that go in the spinner. Can I use a regular colander to filter, or do I need a specific grade of mesh to filter the honey through?

Many just use the standard metal strainers that just sit on a bucket, allow the honey to settle skim the top and bits settle. Alternatively there’s also those micro mesh nylon type for a strain before bottling.

First time extraction and I know about cutting off the wax cappings first, but I am looking at videos and thinking people dont get all of the wax off, theres a few bits left that go in the spinner. Can I use a regular colander to filter, or do I need a specific grade of mesh to filter the honey through?
Is useful to have a honey strainer but a sieve would do most of it ok.

The advantage of a honey strainer is that its usually two different meshes, the larger catches the big chunks meaning they don't clog the finer one.

Many just use the standard metal strainers that just sit on a bucket, allow the honey to settle skim the top and bits settle. Alternatively there’s also those micro mesh nylon type for a strain before bottling.
So once I have spun the frames and left it a while the wax comes to the top?

Extract and rough filter with those standard double mesh types if you leave to settle air bubbles and wax will rise to the surface in the buckets. I then use a fine micron filter when putting into the bottling tank some don’t bother.

Yes they are the same thing or at least can be. As to removing the scum just lay cling film over the top gently press down to ensure its in contact with the scum then peel off. You can consume it, but why when you have a lovely bucket of honey underneath😂

The super fine filters will struggle to let cold low-moisture honey through.
I use the standard stainless two stage unit with a piece of coarse wire mesh on top to catch the big bits.

Especially useful after failing to extract an overloaded foundationless comb at warp factor 11:nono:

Do you think putting it through a fine mesh filter helps it stay runny for longer? Thinking there would be less impurities to seed sugar crystals.

As above I tend to just use the double strainer and let it settle before jarring, but it does set quite quick.

Do you think putting it through a fine mesh filter helps it stay runny for longer? Thinking there would be less impurities to seed sugar crystals.

As above I tend to just use the double strainer and let it settle before jarring, but it does set quite quick.
Fine filtering will reduce the propensity for crystallisation but .... it's not IMPURITIES that you are taking out it's the microscsopic elements such as pollen grains, wax and propolis which differentiate our unprocessed honey from the pressure filtered, pasteurised, largely tasteless, stuff that passes for honey on supermarket shelves. My customers are keen to know that my honey is just fairly coarsely filtered and allowed to settle ... and they accept that crystallisation is sometimes going to happen but the label explains that this could happen and what to do about it.

Why would you want to reduce the Unique Selling Proposition (USP) that out artisan, raw honey has ?

Yes sorry impurities was the wrong word. Let's not start the 'raw' debate again as well :laughing-smiley-004

I completely agree, and I sell mine along similar lines, highlighting the fact it is only coarse filtered (0.5mm mesh is the smallest I think on those double strainers). The BBKA leaflet on honey/labelling recommends 0.2mm filtering... I do put the standard Thorne granulation label on the back. I prefer mine set anyway, spreads better on toast. I should probably give making soft set a go.

I just wonder sometimes, when I look at mine on the shop shelf when it's crystallised in the jar and right next to it is another beautifully clear and runny honey. Just wonder which one people will actually pick! Maybe i'm over thinking it.

Ah ok, I tend to jar mine fairly sharpish, but sounds like storing in buckets and jarring to order might help then, thanks.

Yes sorry impurities was the wrong word. Let's not start the 'raw' debate again as well :laughing-smiley-004

I completely agree, and I sell mine along similar lines, highlighting the fact it is only coarse filtered (0.5mm mesh is the smallest I think on those double strainers). The BBKA leaflet on honey/labelling recommends 0.2mm filtering... I do put the standard Thorne granulation label on the back. I prefer mine set anyway, spreads better on toast. I should probably give making soft set a go.

I just wonder sometimes, when I look at mine on the shop shelf when it's crystallised in the jar and right next to it is another beautifully clear and runny honey. Just wonder which one people will actually pick! Maybe i'm over thinking it.
Just for interest, the vast majority of pollen grains are 100um and smaller.
Most fine filter bags are 200um or bigger. So using a fine filter doesn’t remove pollen grains. It will filter out very small pieces of wax and propolis and give clearer jars of honey as a result.

Latest posts

Back