Clipping queens curiosty

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivachaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Hi everyone,

Has anyone found that by clipping their queens wings, that they get superceded any quicker than not clipped?

Is it worth doing - or not bother?

Anyone with experiences before and after clipping if there are patterns?

All for or against?

Btw I dont clip mine, but have seen on a few YT channels some do and really sing its praises.

Any opinions?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone found that by clipping their queens wings, that they get superceded any quicker than not clipped?

All for or against?

Btw I dont clip mine, but have seen on a few YT channels some do and really sing its praises.

Any opinions?

Lose a few to supercedure after the march round of clipping, but nothing to say that wouldn't happen anyway, the previous years queens are all clipped at this time of year.
The only other time we clip is if a nuc customer requests it before delivery, but then it's their own risk & we have had a few then supercede subsequently.
I suspect that the Colonie then views the queen as defective, I always endeavour to clip mid season when there's a good flow on to mitigate this if the customer requests a clipped Q.

Last edited:
I have a 3yr old clipped Q .
SS via clipping may occur if one snips a leg off unnoticed, otherwise think it is a beek myth.
Typically I don't clip new season Q's but wait until the following spring.

Hi everyone,

All for or against?

Any opinions?

Professional beekeepers clip the wings, and they say that their hives would be queenless after winter , if bees supercede the clipped queens.

I have a 3yr old clipped Q .
SS via clipping may occur if one snips a leg off unnoticed, otherwise think it is a beek myth.
Typically I don't clip new season Q's but wait until the following spring.
Yes, I too clip next spring.

Thank you, everyone - its food for thought

Latest posts

Back