Cleaning up supers and wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a little unsettling. May I ask why?

Regarding Certan/Dipel - is it harmful to humans?

Certan - B 401 is a concentrated solution of Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai . B401 does not leave any residue in the wax or the honey, is harmless to bee larvae and adult bees.
Aizawai serotype 7 (present in B 401) is the sole variety of Bacillus thuringiensis to give excellent results against wax moth. Some other types of Bacillus thuringiensis are toxic to humans & bees.
Exert from www.bees-online.co.uk/resource-downloads/CERTAN_INFO.pdf

Certan - B 401 is a concentrated solution of Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai . B401 does not leave any residue in the wax or the honey, is harmless to bee larvae and adult bees.
Aizawai serotype 7 (present in B 401) is the sole variety of Bacillus thuringiensis to give excellent results against wax moth. Some other types of Bacillus thuringiensis are toxic to humans & bees.
Exert from www.bees-online.co.uk/resource-downloads/CERTAN_INFO.pdf

All I could find was reports of hay fever type reactions in people spraying crops with it
There is a GM soya bean that produces Bt toxin. I presume people are eating that too. Doesn’t the bacterium live in the soil potentially putting gardeners at risk?

Oh man. Does one need to clean them up before handing back to the bees or will they remove all traces of it?

Legionella is found naturally especially in places with static water that gets exposed to temperatures exceeding 20°C. I can't see it being a problem for the bees as they routinely guzzle dirty water. More a question of taking care when opening the bags so you don't get pneumonia. I read somewhere that a beekeeper developed pneumonia from Legionella but they couldn't find the source of the Legionella. There have been cases of people dying from getting infected opening compost bags and I imagine conditions would be more favourable with sealed wet supers. Not a big issue, just a question of taking a little care.

Legionella is found naturally especially in places with static water that gets exposed to temperatures exceeding 20°C. I can't see it being a problem for the bees as they routinely guzzle dirty water. More a question of taking care when opening the bags so you don't get pneumonia. I read somewhere that a beekeeper developed pneumonia from Legionella but they couldn't find the source of the Legionella. There have been cases of people dying from getting infected opening compost bags and I imagine conditions would be more favourable with sealed wet supers. Not a big issue, just a question of taking a little care.

You've opened my eyes I've worked with compost and soils for years ... I've never heard of legionella before or anyone that's got Ill from compost .
Very interesting do you have any more info on the subject?

All I could find was reports of hay fever type reactions in people spraying crops with it
There is a GM soya bean that produces Bt toxin. I presume people are eating that too. Doesn’t the bacterium live in the soil potentially putting gardeners at risk?

Yes it occurs naturally in soil, maybe its to do with the particular subtype of Bacillus. Certan - Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies aizawai: Dipel - Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies kurstaki (Btk): or there is also - Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis (Bti) for mosquitoes, gnats, and blackflies. and no doubt other serotypes.

You've opened my eyes I've worked with compost and soils for years ... I've never heard of legionella before or anyone that's got Ill from compost .
Very interesting do you have any more info on the subject?

Page 18:

https://tinyurl.com/y22fbb6a

The concern with wet supers in plastic bags is that it's easy for the bags to act as bellows if torn open which risks creating an aerosol for the bacteria to be inhaled.

Latest posts

Back