Cleaning up supers and wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom8400

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all quick couple of questions,

Firstly hives are being pounded by wasps, one was queenless so that didn't help moved as I united which meant the one next too it is now taking the heavy hit, I closed all hives to a 10mm x 20mm ish entrance which is helping but a few still get in. Is there a solution to this problem different floor entrance? As I need to make or buy some more anyway?.

Second query I am starting final extraction on some supers, once extracted if I return to hive how can I get them to empty the supers and clean them opposed to moving honey into them? Put them below the brood? Or at top of hive? Maybe above a cb so they think it's feed?

Thanks

Hi all quick couple of questions,

Firstly hives are being pounded by wasps, one was queenless so that didn't help moved as I united which meant the one next too it is now taking the heavy hit, I closed all hives to a 10mm x 20mm ish entrance which is helping but a few still get in. Is there a solution to this problem different floor entrance? As I need to make or buy some more anyway?.

Second query I am starting final extraction on some supers, once extracted if I return to hive how can I get them to empty the supers and clean them opposed to moving honey into them? Put them below the brood? Or at top of hive? Maybe above a cb so they think it's feed?

Thanks

You need an underfloor entrance which you can reduce even further with some sponge
Here https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=26994&highlight=Millet+tunnel+entrance

Or one of millets tunnel entrances.
I can’t find it on the forum but PM him and I’m sure he’ll oblige

As for supers you can put them over a crownboard with a reduced entrance but better still do what a lot of us do and store them wet

What is the advantage of storing them wet brought the winter?

Bees do love getting up into a wet super in spring and wax moth prefer dry comb. However they will still get into wet supers I store mine dry it’s less of a bee magnet, but really makes little odds.

What is the advantage of storing them wet brought the winter?

I have always stored mine wet....11 years
Never had wax moth
I keep them in the garden shed, strapped up with crown board top and bottom with a plastic crown board evert three or four supers just in case wax moth get in.

bees up into the supers like a shot in spring
saves the faff of putting them back onto the hives

I always used to store them wet, but did end up with moth...big and small at the same time! Now they are put back on, above the cover board - if I have time - and stored dry in the shed, otherwise stored wet and outside. The wet ones are used to get the bees above the QX in spring: they do just love 'em.

The amount of brood rearing and pollen in a frame seems to make more difference in the attractiveness to moth than wet or dry. I keep an "inoculum" of friendly little pollen mites to help with stored pollen.

You can always spray wet or dry supers with B.Thuringiensis

You can get Dipel from eBay which is much cheaper than Certan or whatever it’s calked now.

I keep an "inoculum" of friendly little pollen mites to help with stored pollen.
Yes they get at the stored pollen so that it knocks out like a dust next season

Just shows!!!! Stored wet and got wax moth now store dry after spraying with certan in big plastic boxes. Put super above crown board and above eek. Leave small hole open and they rob any wet stuff out!
E

Worth taking a little care wet storing supers in black plastic bin bags. Best that they are stored in a cool place below 20°C and that when opened you avoid breathing in the air trapped in the bags.

Worth taking a little care wet storing supers in black plastic bin bags. Best that they are stored in a cool place below 20°C and that when opened you avoid breathing in the air trapped in the bags.

That's a little unsettling. May I ask why?

Regarding Certan/Dipel - is it harmful to humans?

I put every wet super into a bin bag and tape it shut, haven't had wax moth so far.

That's fine provided there are no eggs or larvae in the frames to start with. I stack mine out in a shed, about 8 to a stack, with ply wood top and bottom and ratchet straps. I burn sulphur in them before closing, which kills the larvae, any eggs which then hatch are dealt with by a second dose after about 3 weeks. However have just bought some Dipel, and will try that for the first time.

That's fine provided there are no eggs or larvae in the frames to start with. I stack mine out in a shed, about 8 to a stack, with ply wood top and bottom and ratchet straps. I burn sulphur in them before closing, which kills the larvae, any eggs which then hatch are dealt with by a second dose after about 3 weeks. However have just bought some Dipel, and will try that for the first time.

What's Dipel drex .
Any supers that have larvae/ eggs are treated as brood boxes .
I'm yet to seal brood/eggs in honey supers for storage sounds like a faff .

Latest posts

Back