Cleaning smokers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, is anyone else getting a build up of tar like substance in their smoker?
I use mostly cardboard as fuel but I am getting a large build up which is causing the lid to stick.
Any tips for cleaning it off?

Hi, is anyone else getting a build up of tar like substance in their smoker?
I use mostly cardboard as fuel but I am getting a large build up which is causing the lid to stick.
Any tips for cleaning it off?

I use to get the same when using wood shaving. I changed to straw, and find much better. I buy a small bag of it in pet store and keep it with the smoker. Smokes better as well.

Love Beekeeping <3

Hi Guys,
Just done mine. Scraped with a wooden flat stick as I did not want metal on metal. Five mm soot residue in the lid and tiny hole. New bellows on and Lidl burner used for the first time - bliss. Thank you forum.

I use cardboard , mainly toilet roll tubes and shredded packaging which does create tar.
My theory is that the cardboard has glue on it and this is causing the tar. As a cool smoke is required a slow burning smoker does not help the tar problem.
More heat less tar !! Its trying to reach the happy medium.

Or this for the big Spring clean...click on the pdf:

Smoker maintenance...

What a load of faff for nothing - quick blast with a blowlamp and you see the tarr just bubble up and turn into an easily friable rittle 'foam' - then do the same as it says on that link - but just qui ker and better

All sounds a bit too elaborate to me, just put a roll of cardboard or slivers of wood inside, light, then.

Wearing gloves, place on the ground and pump the bellows continually till all fuel is burnt out.

You'll get something similar to a WW2 bunker busting frame thrower but it'll be squeaky clean on the inside, (great fun too).:sifone::sifone:

P.S.
I don't have a galvanised smoker, just stainless and a copper one!

Last edited:
Straw from pet shop - mixed with dry decayed wood and pines ... Clean with Blowlamp (light with blowlamp) ... so as above really

Use rotten Birch and you Will not have tar problem or that evil which glues the cap.

My manservant cleans my smokers..the tar pits the silver if left too long,

My smoker lid get sticking because of tarry fuel. I spent ages trying to lever or prise it open. Then I read JMB's advice.
30 seconds with my wife's creme brûlée torch and it was open.
The moral of this story is that sometimes, just occasionally, you can believe JMB.

Latest posts

Back