Cleaning extraction equipment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Slater

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
In the last I have extracted all our honey in one day and cleaned everything up immediately. This year it’s going to be done over 2 days at least with a few days in between. Do beekeepers normally clean up each day during the extraction process or only after the last day? I’m talking about the extractor, uncapping equipment and sieves etc.

In the last I have extracted all our honey in one day and cleaned everything up immediately. This year it’s going to be done over 2 days at least with a few days in between. Do beekeepers normally clean up each day during the extraction process or only after the last day? I’m talking about the extractor, uncapping equipment and sieves etc.
No
Yes
For me too

Between crops for us as extracting tends to merge from beans to Blossom to lime etc.
Massive deep clean done in the winter.
I hate the job with a passion, wish I could find someone happy to spend their time extracting, even the apprentice loathes the job.

When we dropped the numbers during my divorce I used pallet wrap to seal everything up if being left unused for a few days.

Between crops for us as extracting tends to merge from beans to Blossom to lime etc.
Massive deep clean done in the winter.
I hate the job with a passion, wish I could find someone happy to spend their time extracting, even the apprentice loathes the job.

When we dropped the numbers during my divorce I used pallet wrap to seal everything up if being left unused for a few days.
I hope beekeeping wasn’t one of the grounds for your divorce. I guess it wouldn’t be the first time 😊

It wasn't the reason for my divorce but I am aware of the possibilities. Equipment - extractor etc I leave between days. In the kitchen I have a cheap tarpaulin which covers the floor completely and it is folded up and popped in the washing machine each night with 2 rinse cycles and put on the line outside and it dries very quickly on the washing line and used the next day. Newspaper sheets at the kitchen door and a change of footwear before going through the house. Rinse my hands not to spread honey by hand - SWMBO doesn't like that although I have tried to persuade her that honey is good for her skin................. A thought though - molten wax is worse in the wrong place!!!

I guess it depends partly on if you are using a kitchen or dedicated bee shed.

I have a bee shed, but that's just where I keep kit. It's only a prefab 8x6 shed that I extended to 8x7 and added a covered storage area outside when I had to move it a couple of years ago. There's no space to use it for extraction. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a proper honey room. Perhaps, in the fullness of time...

James

I hope beekeeping wasn’t one of the grounds for your divorce. I guess it wouldn’t be the first time 😊

It certainly didn't help 🤣, but I'm content with the choice I made of which to keep 😉.

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
It wasn't the reason for my divorce but I am aware of the possibilities. Equipment - extractor etc I leave between days. In the kitchen I have a cheap tarpaulin which covers the floor completely and it is folded up and popped in the washing machine each night with 2 rinse cycles and put on the line outside and it dries very quickly on the washing line and used the next day. Newspaper sheets at the kitchen door and a change of footwear before going through the house. Rinse my hands not to spread honey by hand - SWMBO doesn't like that although I have tried to persuade her that honey is good for her skin................. A thought though - molten wax is worse in the wrong place!!!

I'm very fortunate with Wendy as there's a couple of pounds of wax attached to the ceiling, windows & blinds in the conservatory, I'm only reminded about that episode once a month now 😳.

I have a bee shed, but that's just where I keep kit. It's only a prefab 8x6 shed that I extended to 8x7 and added a covered storage area outside when I had to move it a couple of years ago. There's no space to use it for extraction. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love a proper honey room. Perhaps, in the fullness of time...

James

Murray told me a few years ago that the best investment is bees, shiny metal is only there to show off and doesn't earn anything.
It is only In the Last few years we've been able to purchase some items brand new and it's only Lyson coming into the UK that made that possible.

Latest posts

Back