cleaning a new honey extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I am going to use my new stainless steel electric extractor in the next few days (when the weather cools down!) and thought that I should give it a good clean first because of residues left from the manufacturer. I am concerned about leaving anything behind that could taint the honey.
Any suggestions please about what to use and how?
Thanks
Louise not worthy

For a new stainless steel item, I would use hot water and detergent, or read and follow the manufacturer's instructions, if there were any.

Please, to any newbies reading this - do not assume the same requirements for an extractor after use.

RAB

TCE springs to mind - nasty stuff but widely used industrial solvent/degreaser and used in early 20th century for various food based extraction processes (eg decaffeinating).

However it is now listed as "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen" and it appears that WHO approval as a food additive was withdrawn in 1976.

so good old "aqua e sapone" is your answer as suggested by Rab.

For a new stainless steel item, I would use hot water and detergent, or read and follow the manufacturer's instructions, if there were any.

Please, to any newbies reading this - do not assume the same requirements for an extractor after use.

RAB
Thanks Rab and drritson, so do you use something different after extracting?
Louise

"when the weather cools down!"

not sure about what others think but the warmer it is the more fluid the honey.

or are you thinking more along lines of the physical side of operating the extractor in the heat - extraneous sudiferous food additive springs to mind.

Cold water after extraction, detergent if you want to followed by a good rinse , again with cold water.

Do NOT use hot water as any bits of wax left will melt and smear all over your lovely new extractor:biggrinjester:

"when the weather cools down!"

not sure about what others think but the warmer it is the more fluid the honey.

or are you thinking more along lines of the physical side of operating the extractor in the heat - extraneous sudiferous food additive springs to mind.

Yes as my health has not been good this year I am thinking of me and the work involved rather than the honey - sorry! I will have some help but it will be a long session of work and standing. bee-smillie
Louise

beauty of honey is it dissolves freely in water so easy to clean. Just leaves the propolis which sticks to everything, specially our white shower base where I wash the extractor with the shower head!!!!!! Not got a happy wife! But showers and baths with shower attachments are really good to wash equipment as long as you don't drip the honey up the stairs!!!!

Latest posts

Back