Cleaning a Konigin extractor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Konigin has a large footprint and doesn’t lend itself to lugging about !
Also , leaving honey about especially at the end of the season is a good way to start robbing!

i usually leave the extractor by my hives for a few hours after extraction the bees clean it up spick and span... then gentle hose down and store.
Not a good idea... it wont be just your bees you attract ... it could be from any colony... there is the possibility of attracting disease into your apiary... not to mention the fact that you could start robbing off from both bees and wasps once they get a taste of free honey...

i usually leave the extractor by my hives for a few hours after extraction the bees clean it up spick and span... then gentle hose down and store.
Leaving it to the bees to cleans up is practiced in the US, as can be seen on YouTube, but for the UK it's just not cricket. Not good biosecurity.

Please explain: why is cold better than hot?
The other reason I saw, which actually applies to washing fat off pots and pans is that if you use hot water it softens the wax / fat. When the warm water / wax solution then hits the cold water in your U bend it solidifies and will block or speed up the blocking of the drain.

After reaching my capacity limit with my manual extractor in the spring I have invested in a Konigin 9 frame electric radial extractor. I'm planning to spin the honey this afternoon and am just contemplating cleaning the extractor. However the tap is on the same side as the motor so I'm not sure how I can get much water in it without possibly getting some in the motor. The instructions do say that it can be washed with a power washer! I am thinking the motor might be able to be removed but it doesn't say so in the instructions and I'm not very electronically minded so don't want to fiddle too much. I guess I'll get the cling film out for now and cover it up the best I can.

Does anyone have any advice?
The motor has a long lead ,meaning it can be removed and placed in a plastic bag still connected! if you pinch the v belt and measure the movement, you’ll know the tension for when you replace it !

Just a quick question. If I tilt the unit permanently will it harm the bearings when it is spinning?

Just a quick question. If I tilt the unit permanently will it harm the bearings when it is spinning?
Basic physics says yes ... bearings are usually intended to be run in a single plane.... if you put lateral pressure on them they will wear ... perhaps if you are pretty old it wont matter to you too much ! It's not going to kill the bearings overnight unless like some chinese ones they are made of chocolate !

The motor has a long lead ,meaning it can be removed and placed in a plastic bag still connected! if you pinch the v belt and measure the movement, you’ll know the tension for when you replace it !
The motor is 400 v 3 phase hence the whine from the control.
for the doubting Thomas who installed its 230v here are a couple of pictures with relevant markings.412BF9AC-09C5-49CB-9C5D-106828F33C0F.jpegE44F7863-2CFE-4022-89AF-20EA11B5AF7F.jpeg

Tha
Basic physics says yes ... bearings are usually intended to be run in a single plane.... if you put lateral pressure on them they will wear ... perhaps if you are pretty old it wont matter to you too much ! It's not going to kill the bearings overnight unless like some chinese ones they are made of chocolate !
Thanks. I got it because of my age! Been manual spinning for 40 years!!!!😱

Tha
Thanks. I got it because of my age! Been manual spinning for 40 years!!!!😱
Yes .... I was only manual spinning for a quarter of that and then I discovered the joy of an electric extractor and in my case one that takes 15 frames ... it's big, it's heavy, it only barely fits through the back door but it's just so much better than cranking the handle on my old one. Mind you ... if it had not come up as a bargain the Yorkshireman in me would probably not have invested the several hundred pounds needed to buy a new one ... now I have one ... yes, I would if necessary !

Gosh thanks for the replies. I've been at work all week and haven't had the chance to clean it so it's still sat in my kitchen!! Todays job. I contacted Thornes who advised not to remove anything so I've just wrapped the motor up and will tip it and hose it down.

Gosh thanks for the replies. I've been at work all week and haven't had the chance to clean it so it's still sat in my kitchen!! Todays job. I contacted Thornes who advised not to remove anything so I've just wrapped the motor up and will tip it and hose it down.
Thrones have a video on YouTube.
Levitt . Worth a look .

Just resurrecting this thread. Used my konig nine frame for the first real time. Works like a dream BUT.... Jesus cleaning it is difficult. Power washed and then wiped it out but there was still honey in the bottom edge. Power washed again but this time when I went to wipe it I cut my hand and arm in three places and still honey in it. Now I had to wash it again to get the blood out! There has got to be a better design than this! It was nothing short of a nightmare! I will be going back to my old manual with a plastic bucket at this rate!

Just resurrecting this thread. Used my konig nine frame for the first real time. Works like a dream BUT.... Jesus cleaning it is difficult. Power washed and then wiped it out but there was still honey in the bottom edge. Power washed again but this time when I went to wipe it I cut my hand and arm in three places and still honey in it. Now I had to wash it again to get the blood out! There has got to be a better design than this! It was nothing short of a nightmare! I will be going back to my old manual with a plastic bucket at this rate!
I have the 12 frame one ! It is a nightmare!
I have also learned the hard way !
The reason for the large amount of wasted honey is down to bad design of the drum!
the convex base is fitted to the interior of the drum cylinder,
Welded on the outside ! However at 4 locations other components are welded onto the base , these welds penetrate to the inside creating 4 dams .
Tilting the extractor doesn’t drain to the honey valve , leaving the very deep V at the base full of honey !
Over Winter I am looking at an easy way to remove the cage without compromising the 4 year guarantee!

I’ll be looking for a new extractor in 1-2yr. This thread (thank you BTW) definitely will keep me well away from Konigin.

Latest posts

Back