Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three student friends and I drove a 1956 LWB to Turkey and back in 1962. Canvas-covered weld-mesh cage on the back. Two sat in front, two by the tailgate. We were surveying Crusader castles in SE Turkey near Adana (any excuse for a jaunt). Camping.
Before leaving we attended a two-day maintenance course at Solihull. Wasn't needed - the old girl didn't as much as cough or splutter all the way...
Just before the outbreak of "Dessert Storm" drove a series 2 from Aquaba to Aman overnight with me holding the gear stick in third... one headlamp... quite honestly was one hell of a frightening experience... then caught a flight in an Andropov owned by Romanian airway to Sophia and on to Zurich... tuna sandwiches in first class!
Had abandoned our European clothes and all our photographic and scuba kit .. left in the hands of a helicopter pilot in Aquaba... retrieved it 3 years later!

Beekeeping is a somewhat more gentlemanly passtime!

Nadelik Lowen

Three student friends and I drove a 1956 LWB to Turkey and back in 1962. Canvas-covered weld-mesh cage on the back. Two sat in front, two by the tailgate. We were surveying Crusader castles in SE Turkey near Adana (any excuse for a jaunt). Camping.
Before leaving we attended a two-day maintenance course at Solihull. Wasn't needed - the old girl didn't as much as cough or splutter all the way...

Here is a pic. Camping below Yilan Castle. The LR was ex-Devon Water Board.
Landrover Turkey 2.jpgLandrover Turkey 2.jpg

I had a '68, Series 2 with an Australian Holden engine. The Holden red 186 (I think) bolted straight into them. Funny coincidence, but I took this photo yesterday morning of a 1949 Series 1 which are a rare little thing here nowadays.

Attachments

• IMG_20201211_103937881 (1).jpg
    IMG_20201211_103937881 (1).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
Just before the outbreak of "Dessert Storm" drove a series 2 from Aquaba to Aman overnight with me holding the gear stick in third... one headlamp... quite honestly was one hell of a frightening experience... then caught a flight in an Andropov owned by Romanian airway to Sophia and on to Zurich... tuna sandwiches in first class!
Had abandoned our European clothes and all our photographic and scuba kit .. left in the hands of a helicopter pilot in Aquaba... retrieved it 3 years later!

Beekeeping is a somewhat more gentlemanly passtime!

Nadelik Lowen
My Series 2A always loved to "fall" out of 3rd coming down one particularly long steep hill here but never in the same spot ....
This was her....probably long gone now.

Attachments

• imgA769.jpg
    imgA769.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My wife’s into photography and sells her own cards in her pharmacy. The ones with our chickens always go well. The two chicks are now rather large Gold Laced Brahmas. Outgrew their Wyandotte mum in no time.

Attachments

• 1501FA8F-F2AD-433C-ACDE-DACC538457C9.jpeg
    1501FA8F-F2AD-433C-ACDE-DACC538457C9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • B25054B0-9DF9-4419-BF1D-41C1EC6A30D7.jpeg
    B25054B0-9DF9-4419-BF1D-41C1EC6A30D7.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
Got about 30 blackbirds and a few thrushes helping me clear the remaining windfalls from the lawn at the moment, as well as a crowd of sparrows, some starlings and a woodpecker
I have an Alder tree . It’s cones shed tiny red brown seeds . Goldfinches arrive on cue every year to devour them .
still plenty left over for nuisance seedlings everywhere !🙄

Christmas tree candle, burning nicely. Very pleased. All that mess and filtering was worth it after all!
DC9E7224-E212-4D6C-BCD2-3984A6E4ACE2.jpeg

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”

“One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”
--Khalil Gibran

DC9E7224-E212-4D6C-BCD2-3984A6E4ACE2.jpeg

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention.”

“One day you will ask me which is more important? My life or yours? I will say mine and you will walk away not knowing that you are my life.”
--Khalil Gibran
I like the quote Murox. Very simple but profound.
I have put a little candle in with my family’s presents and given some to friends too. The pleasure that they have brought people has been a surprise to me.

I have put a little candle in with my family’s presents and given some to friends too. The pleasure that they have brought people has been a surprise to me.
I send honey regularly to a man I have never met but whose wife I swapped messages with in the past.
She died of mismanaged cancer this year
I put in a little skep candle. He was overjoyed and said he would light it and think of me and his wife on Christmas Day. Brought a tear to my eye, that.

Made up Xmas presents with bee products I've made over the last 6 weeks for sisters, mum & the ladies who let me keep my bees in their large gardens. All delivered now. Hoping they bring a fraction of the joy the bees have given me. Please post pics of your bee-gifts, for inspiration next year!

Attachments

• C5FBC9EA-C0C7-4C6B-880D-9E754071BA75.jpeg
    C5FBC9EA-C0C7-4C6B-880D-9E754071BA75.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 24
  • C87149DB-3451-46FA-AA61-E7215AE22AC0.jpeg
    C87149DB-3451-46FA-AA61-E7215AE22AC0.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 4EE92A97-E875-407B-9956-303F1E9C6D93.jpeg
    4EE92A97-E875-407B-9956-303F1E9C6D93.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 29
Made up Xmas presents with bee products I've made over the last 6 weeks for sisters, mum & the ladies who let me keep my bees in their large gardens. All delivered now. Hoping they bring a fraction of the joy the bees have given me. Please post pics of your bee-gifts, for inspiration next year!
Wow what a beautiful effort
Well done Elaine

“Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.”
― Kahlil Gibran

“Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.”
― Khalil Gibran

“Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution.”
― Kahlil Gibran

“Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.”
― Khalil Gibran
Is there a particular book that the quotes written by Khalil Gibran come from? I would like to find out more. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back