Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very handsome. Lovely picture
Robins seem to have developed a symbiotic relationship with gardeners ...I have one at my allotment that nearly gets under my feet when I'm doing anything down there.. we see another one at home that follows behind when I cut the lawn.. Darwin rules... very clever creatures and at this time if the year they do brighten things up...

Doesn't a robin only live about a year ?
The 'average' life expectancy is 1.1 years but in reality that figure means nothing. Once they get past their first winter they can live for a lot longer (19 years I think the record is)

Robins seem to have developed a symbiotic relationship with gardeners ...I have one at my allotment that nearly gets under my feet when I'm doing anything down there.. we see another one at home that follows behind when I cut the lawn.. Darwin rules... very clever creatures and at this time if the year they do brighten things up...
Yes always around when we are digging chipping at us to get out of the way.

Got about 30 blackbirds and a few thrushes helping me clear the remaining windfalls from the lawn at the moment, as well as a crowd of sparrows, some starlings and a woodpecker

Here in the autumn all the blackbirds disappear :( Mainly tits right now,and for the first time a crested tit. The finches are arriving, mainly green, bull, and chaffinch. Soon they'll be joined by the goldfinches :D and hawfinch. The bonus so far is a bird I've never seen before, never even heard of, a siskin.

According to local myths, (although it might not be), when a Robin visits, it is actually a dearly loved deceased relative visiting. I like to think it’s my Grandma.

We get a lot of Siskins and Goldfinches on the sunflower feeders with chaffinches eating up the spills underneath. We do get Greenfinches but not as many as we used to. We’ve been seeing a Goldcrest flitting about the yew and that’s a lovely sight. Lot of Tawny Owl hooting early in the morning too.

Got about 30 blackbirds and a few thrushes helping me clear the remaining windfalls from the lawn at the moment, as well as a crowd of sparrows, some starlings and a woodpecker
Here in the autumn all the blackbirds disappear :( Mainly tits right now,and for the first time a crested tit. The finches are arriving, mainly green, bull, and chaffinch. Soon they'll be joined by the goldfinches :D and hawfinch. The bonus so far is a bird I've never seen before, never even heard of, a siskin.
We get a lot of Siskins and Goldfinches on the sunflower feeders with chaffinches eating up the spills underneath. We do get Greenfinches but not as many as we used to. We’ve been seeing a Goldcrest flitting about the yew and that’s a lovely sight. Lot of Tawny Owl hooting early in the morning too.

Lucky yous

Bit of a desert in the garden here (rural village). Far fewer B.birds and starlings than usual No thrushes or house sparrows for a few years. Plenty of gold finches on the sunflower hearts. Resident dunnocks, wrens and robins. The gang (= long tailed tits) visit the suet in our apple tree every 15 mins. Wood pigeons galore.

Today heard, then saw, large flock of fieldfares while walking along local Long Melford - Bury St Edmunds disused railway line.

I leave the forum to get my Christmas card done this year.......and come back to more posts than I've ever seen! Who would be a 'moderator?'View attachment 23373View attachment 23374View attachment 23375View attachment 23376
Bahhhh Humbug........Thank goodness that is over! Some more details, for those who want to know. I work on A4 ESSDEE scraper-board. I actually bought ten A1 sheets years back. It was cheaper! The finished image will now be scanned and once edited (pixels etc.), reduced to A5 and printed on gloss card.
My printer is an Epson 950 six colour photo printer. It was neglected for some months, when I was ill a while back, so started misbehaving. I took a chance last year and washed the print-head in meths over a week. It seems to have worked for last years card!Nearlythere1.jpgNearlythere2.jpgfinished.jpg

Last edited:
We have a resident sparrow hawk who enjoys eating err sparrows and collared doves.

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0230.JPG
    IMG_0230.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back