Choosing a hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a pity that Th0rnes on line sale starts next week, before you have done your course, and can make any informed decisions. You can get some good bargains.

I started off with their flat pack National Bees on a budget hives, and still buy the occasional odd one now. My beekeeping has grown organically as my skills and experience have increased. I now also use horizontal top bar hive and Warre.

I would agree to get the best suit you can afford. That is what I was advised and is what I did and it gave me a great deal of confidence when I first started. It is still as new many washes later.

I agree with all the above. Take it slowly. Let it all develop slowly. There will be moments of panic and heart ache, but also many of sheer delight. Enjoy. I cannot fault your approach.

Welcome to the forum Toffeesmum. You sound as though you have put a lot of thought in to this which is good. I agree with all above seriously think about using the same equipment as local beeks in your area as it does make life simpler at times. Good luck in your new venture.

What about polystyrene??

Just wondering what people's opinions are about polystyrene hives??

Many thanks again

Hi Toffeesmum, and welcome.

It is a pity that Th0rnes on line sale starts next week, before you have done your course, and can make any informed decisions. You can get some good bargains.

Whilst this is true, you will probably be able to learn about the pro's and con's, reasons for sizes etc, and actually see and handle various types of hive during your course. Just as importantly, in case you weren't aware, the BBKA spring convention is in April, at Telford, where the same vendors will likely have all sorts of show offers, with even MORE things to go on your 'must have' list.:icon_204-2: so there's really no rush.

Poly Hives

From our VERY limited experience.
We started with a cedar 14x12 National last year and needed more kit so we went with a Poly hive.
The bees seem to like the poly,(laying right up to the wall, we had to move spare frames around to give them room).
If you choose to go Poly try to get a make that is compatible with wood then if needs be you can borrow a super or whatever from a local beek.
Welcome to the forum and happy beekeeping.

Tim :xmas-smiley-013:

Just wondering what people's opinions are about polystyrene hives??

Some people like them, some people don't.

For wood/ply box compatibility you'd need to check the bee space. Poly boxes have a wider footprint, because the walls are thicker, but internally they're the same. Lang poly use Lang frames, Nat poly use Nat frames etc..

We've got them and wouldn't swap.

They're used by ITLD. His albums are here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?u=4812

What about polystyrene??

The choice of the commercial fraternity? Well, most of them.

I think I covered my situation in post #8. As others say, beware you are not locked into just the one supplier and understand compatibility. Some are good and some I wouldn't consider again.

For wood/ply box compatibility you'd need to check the bee space. Poly boxes have a wider footprint, because the walls are thicker, but internally they're the same. Lang poly use Lang frames, Nat poly use Nat frames etc..
They're used by ITLD. His albums are here http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?u=4812

Ummm.
I believe the specific poly nats used by ITLD have standard external dimensions, thick poly walls, and take fewer frames ...
But generally, its the interior dimensions that follow the standard, while the external dimensions depart from the standard - making for questions about compatibility between manufacturers.
It should also be mentioned that this departure from precise standards has "liberated" some manufacturers from the boredom of following other aspects of the standard - like top bee space nationals, and boxes with lips - so you can find yourself locked in to that manufacturer. This problem simply doesn't exist with wooden hives which either adhere to standards or disappear.
There was only the one manufacturer (afaik) that produced some with the wrong beespace dimension (and sold them off cheaply on eBay with the fault declared). Such errors are not a general problem with poly hives. Deliberate departures from standard are much more common.

Really -- its not too important what you start on.
What you come to like after you have handled lots of different hives will depend on you - but you'd be very ambitious to think that you can accurately predict your response in practice from a theoretical view (and that before taking the theory course!)
Wait until you've handled a variety of hives before deciding what *you* like and dislike.
Listen to what others like and dislike, but then carefully consider whether or not you have the same priorities!

Plastic is in some practical ways a better (drier, warmer) material than wood. But it doesn't stand up to abuse as well.
And its not for the DIY carpentry fan!
For most people, the big thing against plastic is ugliness.
If you can get past that, and the local population uses nationals, then P@ynes polys are cheap and the bees don't object to them. Another advantage for some is effectively zero assembly. Forego painting and you can easily use those particular boxes within minutes of delivery.

There are lots of threads on here for you to read -- just search for 'poly'.

Last edited:
When I started I went for cedar national hives with 14x12 brood box, and I ordered a nuc on 14x12. Turned out the nuc was standard national (14x8.5) so my first job was to do a Bailey Comb change! I was quite annoyed but still excited to have bees and it worked out ok in the end.

I now have colonies in 3 cedar national (14x12) hives but recently, after much reading/thought decided to try something a little different, so I have a poly langstroth made up of all "medium" boxes (dadant shallows). I just want to try poly vs wood and also the idea of uniform sized boxes was very appealing. I don't yet know if it is also appealing to bees....but no harm in experimenting bee-smillie

One things for sure - you will need more kit than you think you do! Good luck :)

Really -- its not too important what you start on.

By which I meant that it doesn't HAVE TO determine the future of your beekeeping.
Go with the type best supported locally to start with, and then, if you find something that you think better suits *your* needs and preferences, you can change without too much hassle.

But at the beginning, and all the time you have just ONE hive (two is the sustainable minimum), you'll be much better off at least using the same frame sizes as the most friendly of your new pals...

Hope that clarifies my earlier careless phrasing!

What about polystyrene??

"Just wondering what people's opinions are about polystyrene hives??"

:welcome: I thought I'd give Poly a go, bought one last year (a National)...cheaper and lighter to handle...but dropped one Super and broke the corner lugs - should be repairable.
Recent inspection showed the bees doing well, although noticed quite a bit of condensation....so still a bit of an experiment and I'm not sure whether to get another. That said, our Association hives are all poly and seem to be popular.
My other hives are cedar Nationals, and Father Christmas has just bought me another one, so I'll probably stick to these....as others have advised, sticking to one system makes life a lot easier.
Happy Beekeeping :)

Aawwwwwwwww thank you again and Happy New Year!!

Pollys Mum also!!! (both dogs!!)

Aw and there I was trying to work out what Toffee was short for!:)

Latest posts

Back