Chinese Vapeaway

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilN

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bought a Varrox copy off eBay for £26 incl P&P. Looks everything like one 5 times the price elsewhere. I used the forum search tool to see if there's been any prior discussion about these copies but couldn't find any discussion about them - has anyone had any experience of using one of these copies? I can't see how they can be any different in performance to more expensive UK made ones - it's just putting an electrical current through a rod of mild steel that acts as a resistor and heats up.
What could possibly go wrong? (I'll post pictures of my 'flaming hive' if and when it bursts into flames!)
IMG_1583.JPG

They are good value ... I have a similar one - the only thing that lets them down are the really cheap and nasty battery crocodile clips ... you might want to invest in a pair of decent ones ... good ones are only about a fiver a pair on Amazon.

the only thing that lets them down are the really cheap and nasty battery crocodile clips
so they really are an exact copy of the real McCoy varrox then, the crocodile clips on them aren't much better!

so they really are an exact copy of the real McCoy varrox then, the crocodile clips on them aren't much better!
Yes ... it beggars belief ... they go to all the trouble of making a half decent product with decent wires and they put on a pair of crocodile clips that barely fit round the terminals of a 12 volt battery and which bend almost as soon as you squeeze them. I actually converted mine to use these sort of clips with some insulating tape wrapped around the handles and the wires have crimped terminals that are held to the clips with a nut & bolt and a couple of washers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Sp...806393?hash=item283836c939:g:poMAAOSwwvZZSmUq
Cheaper ones are available ...

Yes ... it beggars belief ... they go to all the trouble of making a half decent product with decent wires and they put on a pair of crocodile clips that barely fit round the terminals of a 12 volt battery and which bend almost as soon as you squeeze them. I actually converted mine to use these sort of clips with some insulating tape wrapped around the handles and the wires have crimped terminals that are held to the clips with a nut & bolt and a couple of washers:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Sp...806393?hash=item283836c939:g:poMAAOSwwvZZSmUq
Cheaper ones are available ...
yes, swapped mine for all copper ones, only crimped on to the wires, but they do a better job - especially as I have two varroxes rigged up to the battery

one clip got damp over winter Tucked in it's carrying bucket in the dark recesses of the chamber of secrets, went to use it the following year - the clip had completely rotted away.

Bought a Varrox copy off eBay for £26 incl P&P. Looks everything like one 5 times the price elsewhere. I used the forum search tool to see if there's been any prior discussion about these copies but couldn't find any discussion about them - has anyone had any experience of using one of these copies? I can't see how they can be any different in performance to more expensive UK made ones - it's just putting an electrical current through a rod of mild steel that acts as a resistor and heats up.
What could possibly go wrong? (I'll post pictures of my 'flaming hive' if and when it bursts into flames!)
View attachment 22709
Phil, can you pls send a link to the one you bought on eBay pls?

Bought a Varrox copy off eBay for £26 incl P&P. Looks everything like one 5 times the price elsewhere. I can't see how they can be any different in performance to more expensive UK made ones

I very much doubt any of these things are built in the UK. The copies are probably made down the road from the original.

I can't see how they can be any different in performance to more expensive UK made ones

I very much doubt any of these things are built in the UK. The copies are probably made down the road from the original.

Considering that Biovet (the company that markets the Varrox) is a Swiss company, and it ain't clockwork - then Neil is probably right.
Same as the flohive - both the 'original' and the cheap lookalikees are probably made in the same factory

Cynically speaking there is very little produced in the Uk these days. Even Dyson moved his operations out once leaving europe was decided.

Just a thought tho, I think we can guarantee that the Gasvap is definitely made in UK! 😄

I did buy a Varrox copy some years back.. I think it was from Ukrane?
12 Volt... clips were heavy duty but cable was too small and the switch filled simply melted......
Still put the Varrox wand to use on polly nucs with the open mesh floors... vaping from under the mesh with the rotating entrance closed during the vapeing procedure.
On advice from this forum divvied up for a Sublimox which has proper temperature control system and is used to sublimate vaporised OA via a hood into the top of the hive with the crownboard removed.... which seems a better way to sublimate.
a full colony as the vapour drifts down throughout the hive, omf and entrance do not seem to have to be blocked ....

Whatever you do wear a propper mask etc!!!
Chons da

re gasp Yes ~ but I do wonder where the copper comes from and similarly the little torch and it components . 😮

Cynically speaking there is very little produced in the Uk these days. Even Dyson moved his operations out once leaving europe was decided.
he'd moved it out before then - money is the only thing he worships.

Not sure it’s a copy at all. Perhaps it’s exactly the same product made in the same factory. Just that one of them is marketed at a vastly inflated price by Varrox. Or am I being too cynical 😉

Considering that Biovet (the company that markets the Varrox) is a Swiss company, and it ain't clockwork - then Neil is probably right.
Same as the flohive - both the 'original' and the cheap lookalikees are probably made in the same factory
I thought I’ve seen it states ‘made in Australia’ on the flow frames.

I thought I’ve seen it states ‘made in Australia’ on the flow frames.
Well considering that 'Australian' honey was banned from the states when it was discovered that it was actually 'laundered' Chinese 'honey' I think we can work out where the bar is set.
Also when the floo hive first came out demand was so high they admitted they couldn't meet it and had outsourced production. It wasn't much later that the lookalikees started popping up on fleabay.

he'd moved it out before then - money is the only thing he worships.

He took a hit on his Singapore pent house, sold it for less then he paid and lost a few mill. But then again what's a few mill for one who follows the avarice trail.

Not sure it’s a copy at all. Perhaps it’s exactly the same product made in the same factory. Just that one of them is marketed at a vastly inflated price by Varrox. Or am I being too cynical 😉

Much like Baked beans or the very nice Lidl digestives, ginger nuts and fig rolls.

Latest posts

Back