chewing the comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeno

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,
One of my hives have brood comb chewings under it. I thought it was only robbers that destroyed comb to get every little morsel or wasps. I don't think it is either. I know the bees make holes to go through the comb rather than round it, but it seems too much debris. Is there nutritional value in the comb for the bees?

Hi all,
One of my hives have brood comb chewings under it. I thought it was only robbers that destroyed comb to get every little morsel or wasps. I don't think it is either. I know the bees make holes to go through the comb rather than round it, but it seems too much debris. Is there nutritional value in the comb for the bees?

Cappings wax can be superfluous in the winter so the bees will often discard it as they consume stores but I'd be slightly worried it might be mouse damage to see a lot of discarded wax at this time of year.

Cappings wax can be superfluous in the winter so the bees will often discard it as they consume stores but I'd be slightly worried it might be mouse damage to see a lot of discarded wax at this time of year.

Could be pesky little meesters as MBC says but might just be cappings.
Any mice poo?
Cazza

Relax. For brood to emerge the cappings must be removed, similalry if they are to get at the stores.

Hi drex,
:yeahthat: Silly me cannot think straight here and there is me always banging on about the fact that they have not had a brood break! I have seen them chewing and flattening empty comb though what is that all about?

Hi Cazza and mbc,
Thanks for your replies. Mice outside hive yes. Inside no possibilities on that one.

Hi drex,
:yeahthat: Silly me cannot think straight here and there is me always banging on about the fact that they have not had a brood break! I have seen them chewing and flattening empty comb though what is that all about?

Sorry don't know specifically what you mean, nor an answer. However the comb is a dynamic thing, constantly changing.
You can use the "chewings" under the hive as winter goes on to keep track of where the cluster is in the hive - helpful if you intend to OA later. Hope you are still not looking in the hive at this time of year. Enjoy the break, and get your gear ready for next year.

Sorry don't know specifically what you mean, nor an answer. However the comb is a dynamic thing, constantly changing.
You can use the "chewings" under the hive as winter goes on to keep track of where the cluster is in the hive - helpful if you intend to OA later. Hope you are still not looking in the hive at this time of year. Enjoy the break, and get your gear ready for next year.
Hi drex,
No, I am certainly not looking in the hives just under them. Yep, I can see where they are going in the small colonies - away from entrances into hives leaving a trail of white cappings underneath. I was aware that they always seem to add to the comb, but I was not aware that they dismantle them. Do they recyle their own wax?

I have seen them chewing and flattening empty comb though what is that all about?

if the combs are partly molded, bees bite spoiled parts away. That happens often after winter.

If cells very old or spoiled, they totally bite away combs and make new combs.

They may move wax too from one place to another. You may see when thay have used old brown wax to draw foundations.

if the combs are partly molded, bees bite spoiled parts away. That happens often after winter.

If cells very old or spoiled, they totally bite away combs and make new combs.

They may move wax too from one place to another. You may see when thay have used old brown wax to draw foundations.

Hi Finman,
Thanks for that. It is always nice to find out what's going on in the hive.

Should try Seeley or Hoopers books - tells you loads about what happens in hive.

Latest posts

Back