Checking hives. Weather.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I was just wondering if it would be OK to check hives here in NI.
The weather is very changeable but not too cold. I will be away for 4 days and as it has been so rainy here I couldn't check them before

Well I managed to get them sorted. The weather turned sunny for a while. I am glad I did as the new nuc I got definitely needed a super and as for my other two hives the are all OK. Only thing I have noticed is although they are big hives still not storing much honey. I'm guessing it a combination of the terrible weather and their size.
Will definitely be sure to rope someone in with brolly if needs be.

Third element: what is in flower up to two miles from your apiary?

Bees will fly between showers and a small colony will still forage, just won't fill supers.
There's a lot of garden flowers wild flowers and willow herb. Apparently someone living not far from me now has eight hives would that make a significant difference. Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm not sure.

eight hives would that make a significant difference
Not if the forage available is plentiful: a field of borage, for example, or several miles of blackberry. If there's not much about, then all will just tick over.

big hives still not storing much honey. I'm guessing it a combination of the terrible weather and their size.
Big colonies make honey but it depends on what you mean by 'big'. Full of bees on double or triple brood with several supers?

Sounds like forage is a bit sparse where you are maybe ?
Or haven't the bees not built up vey well ?

Latest posts

Back