Changing stacking order of supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beagle23

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I made a bit of a schoolboy error yesterday whilst checking for queen cells. I removed the two supers to get to the brood box and after the inspection I placed the 20% full super on the brood box with the 60% full super on the top, reversing the previous order.
Do you think I should swap them around today, or is it better to leave as is?

Thanks

I made a bit of a schoolboy error yesterday whilst checking for queen cells. I removed the two supers to get to the brood box and after the inspection I placed the 20% full super on the brood box with the 60% full super on the top, reversing the previous order.
Do you think I should swap them around today, or is it better to leave as is?

Thanks

Not A problem at all.

I switched a couple of years ago to 'bottom' supering ie adding new empty supers below the full or partly full supers.
The theory being that with less nectar / honey directly above the brood area the bees will be urged to forage more.
Also the bees processing the incoming nectar do not have to pass thru the supers that are already full before being able to store the nectar.

The only downside is that you need to remove all the supers above the 1st one to be able to check if they require another super.

One major advantage of "bottom" supering is that it stretches the colony out a bit and reduces congestion near the brood nest and may therefore delay the onset of swarm preparations. The disadvantage is that if you have OSR honey in top super then it is more likely to granulate when bees move down with the cold nights.

Wonderful, thank you.
No OSR in this area so that shouldn't be a problem.

Latest posts

Back