Celotex insulation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
Both of my hives are in breezy locations and I'm thinking of insulating for the winter. Would a five sided "bonnet" as I've read somewhere on the forum, be suitable? Or is there a better way?

All I can say is that I covered three of my wooden hives this way last year.
(Derek reckons you should leave them on all the time)
I lifted the covers off a few times out of curiosity and every time I could feel the boxes were warm to the touch, not just the crown board but the sides too. Just shows how much heat is lost.
All colonies made it healthily through the winter with frames of stores to spare (I had to take them out)

Both of my hives are in breezy locations and I'm thinking of insulating for the winter. Would a five sided "bonnet" as I've read somewhere on the forum, be suitable?

Yes, it would and your bees will thank you for it. Well, they would if they could!

Check the size gap to leave between box and 'bonnet' before making.

Thanks Erica, I know the Skewer technique and I have aluminium tape, (or as my wife from the colonies says, "aluminum") is there a special glue that you can use?
Thanks again. :)

Yes, it would and your bees will thank you for it. Well, they would if they could!

Check the size gap to leave between box and 'bonnet' before making.

Gap?
I was going to make the top with a 50 mil overlap (using 50mil Celotex) on all sides & fasten the sides up to that. That would leave a gap between the sides and the bonnet, is that not right?

Gap?
I was going to make the top with a 50 mil overlap (using 50mil Celotex) on all sides & fasten the sides up to that. That would leave a gap between the sides and the bonnet, is that not right?

you need 5 to 10mm clearance all round to get the bonnet on and off.
The glue is uni-bond mega grip+ outdoor grab glue. (solvent based)

Do you leave the roofs on or do you remove it for a closer fit to the sides of the hives? Just wondered!
E

My roof comes off and is replaced with a layer of the Recticel, so with the cosy there is 100mm of insulation over the crownboard. Then the whole lot is strapped down.

Thanks, might try it with a hive this year just to see if I notice a difference!
E

The bonnet goes on to the crown board

And, it should go without saying, but, for the avoidance of doubt let's make clear, no need for holes in that crown board!

/// ADDED - I made up such a 'bonnet' for a rather small colony in a nuc. They overwintered very well using so little stores as to surprise me.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any picture's of Correx and a hive that has been insulated with the product as i find some of the above conversation hard to get my head around.. but then again that's not hard..

There appears to be an element of confusion here.

The thread is talking about Celotex, Kingspan, Reticel foil covered foam insulation.
Correx is a twin wall plastic sheet.
:sorry: But I don't want you go way more confused than we all are.

Derek has built a hive out of the material in question, post 8 in this thread.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=500253#post500253

Does anyone have any picture's of Correx and a hive that has been insulated with the product as i find some of the above conversation hard to get my head around.. but then again that's not hard..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back