cedar or other

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi folks, will hopefully need a couple of new 14x12 national hives this year but the cost of cedar is so high i wondered if ply hives will make any difference to how well the bees perform ? What is the popular material at the moment ?
Also if exterior/marine ply will they still need treating against the weather and will they be significantly heavier ? Thanks, Nuc.

if ply hives will make any difference to how well the bees perform ?

Not really, compared to cedar, but that is comparing like with like. Might make a difference to your performance if you need to move them around, though.

What is the popular material at the moment

Poly is in the limelight.

Also if exterior/marine ply will they still need treating against the weather and will they be significantly heavier ?

Treating? Do you see many boats that are not treated? Weight ? See above.

Last year I made a 14 x 12 from 18mm tongue & groove planks, I glued them with g****a glue and clamped them and gave them a few coats of r**Seal 5 years, they are still looking good No gaps a peering or signs of deterioration

If you are going to the Newport convention Big T usually has 14 x 12 seconds in cedar.
You have to endure the scrum though.

Latest posts

Back