CBPV hive, what to do?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
one of my hives has clearly some bees that suffer from the symptoms. shiny and sluggish. the hive itself is still strong going with a full 14x12 and even filled 3/4 of a super. I am not keen on trying to overwinter it as I have seen what the likely outcome is. A slow and frustrating dwindling of the colony that is not strong enough to build up in spring. I heard requeening it is an option but find it late in the season for that. combining it with another hive would achieve a new queen but I am affraid to condemn a healthy hive. any suggestions other than petrol bombing it?

I've seen it suggested that you cage the Q & shake them all off each frame some distance from the hive, the theory being that the healthy bees will return to the hive. (leaving the diseased bees behind)
Return the Q from the cage to the hive once the flyers are back home

I've not had CBPV yet so its not something I've tried. You'd have to be fairly confident that you are indeed seeing CBPV before performing this

Willie Robson (chain bridge) was telling a group of beekeepers yesterday that he thinks CBPV is on the rise in the UK again

There is an article in the September Beecroft magazine about CBPV. It mentions the shook swarm technique referred to byEKBee

Last edited:
Let them get on with it. They are clearly dealing with it okay. You only have a problem if carpets of dead bees in and outside the hive. My bees have suffered a bit with CBPV over the last 2 seasons - all summer losses, not a problem overwinter that I've seen.

Change the Queen. It may suffer from inbreeding problems.

Tracheal mite is one which comes into mind. To that you need microscope.

I do not know any disease which vanishes via shaking. (to shake virus away!)

20 years ago I had quite much that paralysis virus in my hives, but now it is very rare.

You cannot help it, if you do not change the Queen.

Last edited:
Lbit with CBPV over the last 2 seasons - all summer losses, not a problem overwinter that I've seen.

You too, buy a new Queen.

More resistant bees into yard. .. If you are lucky. You do not win, if you do not try.

Let them get on with it. They are clearly dealing with it okay. You only have a problem if carpets of dead bees in and outside the hive. My bees have suffered a bit with CBPV over the last 2 seasons - all summer losses, not a problem overwinter that I've seen.

:iagree:

I tend to have it along side a high varroa load, sort that out and the problem disappears.

thanks for all the replies. I have not yet got a varroa problem to speak of (less than 3 per day last week). inbreeding not an issue unless the local mongrel population here has been organizing themselves into racial segregation groups. Doing nothing is an option but requeening maybe better, not the nicest colony I have anyway. I will try to raise a queen from my other hives.

I lost 2 colonies over winter to this and 4 swarms this year have had it, of which I've lost 2.
Since the 2 colonies I lost were 8 miles apart, it has little to do with queens and nothing to do with varroa.
The 2 swarms that survived did so because I gave them frames of brood, and the queens were able to lay at a sufficient rate to overcome the loss caused by the virus.
Given that research suggests it is only spread by adult bees to adult bees I can see why a shook swarm would work.

I was told to add more space and if that didn't work to shake them out on the floor a short distance from the hive.
The diseased bees die and the rest go back into the hive, it worked well for me the colony made a full recovery.
Spread by contact the inspector said. Nothing to do with varroa.

must missed something in translation. what's the carbine for?

I was told to add more space and if that didn't work to shake them out on the floor a short distance from the hive.
The diseased bees die and the rest go back into the hive, it worked well for me the colony made a full recovery.
Spread by contact the inspector said. Nothing to do with varroa.
#
that's what our inspector told us as well. I am a bit worried about the fact that they will huddle up in winter. Let's hope for the best.

Latest posts

Back