Catching a swarm in a hive.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWW, I think that beekeeping is a very complicated subject, just like rocket science; if it wasn't it wouldn't be necessary to use so many acronyms. For the record, the one which best describes my attempts so far is probably PPB. ;)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesglossary.htm
Beekeeping is not rocket science - it's far more complicated! 🤣🤣🤣

put your bait hives near apiarys of other beekeepers prefibly the ones who don't check them enough or comercial
Okay to put up bait hives near your own apiary to catch any of your own swarms. Or just somewhere general.

But to deliberately place them near a neighbouring beek amounts to poaching other people's bees imo. How would you like it if someone put up a bait hive just over the fence from your apiary??

As you didn't put a smiley, I'm assuming you're thinking that's not an underhand thing to do?

Okay to put up bait hives near your own apiary to catch any of your own swarms. Or just somewhere general.

But to deliberately place them near a neighbouring beek amounts to poaching other people's bees imo. How would you like it if someone put up a bait hive just over the fence from your apiary??

As you didn't put a smiley, I'm assuming you're thinking that's not an underhand thing to do?
I think I posted last year that a friend of mine had bees investigating the roof of an old building in some woodland he owned. We filled up the holes, put up a bait hive and caught 3 swarms in 3 weeks, all prime swarms. The woodland is 30m from a commercial bee farmer. Is that underhand?
What would have happened to those bees it they hadn't gone into my bait hives? Someone's roof or chimney???
I think it's better to collect swarms wherever to prevent then from being a problem.

We filled up the holes, put up a bait hive and caught 3 swarms in 3 weeks, all prime swarms. The woodland is 30m from a commercial bee farmer. Is that underhand?
That is not the same thing at all.
Capturing stray swarms on your own property is not the same as deliberately targeting another beekeeper to increase your own stocks.

That is not the same thing at all.
Capturing stray swarms on your own property is not the same as deliberately targeting another beekeeper to increase your own stocks.
I'm not advocating "poaching" as you describe it but IMO it doesn't matter where you apprehend the swarm as long as you prevent it from being problem to joe public.

I noted “Joined: Nov 10 2008”. That made me wonder, too!
Acronyms are difficult for beginners to always interpret, and also can be subject to misinterpretation, I know one doctor who hates them as the same letter patterns that are commonly used in medical matters mean completely different things with worrying consequences if you choose the wrong one, I just feel that they interrupt a good report by having to look up or try and interpret instead of just having the words is a shame. ....alright if you have already used them in a sentence ...........

Acronyms are difficult for beginners to always interpret, and also can be subject to misinterpretation, I know one doctor who hates them as the same letter patterns that are commonly used in medical matters mean completely different things with worrying consequences if you choose the wrong one, I just feel that they interrupt a good report by having to look up or try and interpret instead of just having the words is a shame. ....alright if you have already used them in a sentence ...........
Why do acronyms and abbreviations that make reading more “difficult” for anyone still get used. The use of acronyms still seems to meet its World War II purpose of “concealing” written information.

I know one doctor who hates them as the same letter patterns that are commonly used in medical matters mean completely different things with worrying consequences if you choose the wrong one
The problems with acronyms can be applied to everyday English...the same letter patterns (i.e. words) can mean completely different things if you choose the wrong one.
Context is what allows us to decipher meaning.

Acronyms are not cyphers but a convenient way to abbreviate the language within a group. The armed forces, for instance, use them all the time and the acronyms become words in their own right. In fact often it becomes tricky to recall what the abbreviation is, but everyone knows what it means.
For example I once heard someone ask "What does VMC stand for?". The reply came "Victor Mike Charlie"! (it actually stands for Visual Meteorological Conditions).

I agree with O90o that beekeeping can be simple, but the " basics" can be a lot to take in. With a knowledge of bee biology and natural history a lot can be worked out, but few seem to think they need that knowledge, going more for a " how do you do an x or y manipulation " type of learning.
I can still get flummoxed by the bees and in that situation usually just leave it to them. After all they have been at it longer than me
There are Beekeepers who absorb knowledge and use that as a basis for development, sometimes needing a little guidance if they stray from the path of enlightenment. There are also Beekeepers who learn by rote and struggle to cope with situations that present as time goes by. A lot depends on how their initial training was delivered and the content thereof. Beekeeping by the book and calendar only works for a while then something unexpected comes along and blind panic takes over.
Thinking Beekeepers as RAB describes them consider the alternatives, use logic, possibly discuss with other thinking Beekeepers and act accordingly. It helps to have a calm demeanour and self confidence to avoid knee jerk reactions which all too often result in slight problems becoming major problems, especially when a large number of weaponised insects are expressing their displeasure with you.

See, goes to show acronyms are easy to read in context!😉
No. Its more to do with age , experience and mindset. There are many modern day acronyms/abbreviations that leave me totally puzzled. For example I only discovered a week or two ago what "ROFL" meant - see its age and mindset.

No. Its more to do with age , experience and mindset. There are many modern day acronyms/abbreviations that leave me totally puzzled. For example I only discovered a week or two ago what "ROFL" meant - see its age and mindset.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But to be fair the abbreviation in question which started this was DLQ. Which shouldn't actually have needed deciphering on a beekeeping forum. Especially as the poster has been a member a few years

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But to be fair the abbreviation in question which started this was DLQ. Which shouldn't actually have needed deciphering on a beekeeping forum. Especially as the poster has been a member a few years
:) yes of course, but you know even the medical world has dictionaries and glossaries to cover/define commonly used of abbreviations and so on.

Latest posts

Back