Castellation strips too long.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margaret Elisabeth

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I bought some equipment to make up a new hive in a famous manufacturers sale, no names no pack drill, but the castellation strips are too long to fit the inner walls of the hive without either chiseling out or cutting the metal.
Has any one else had this problem and how was it resolved. Baring in mind that I am gritting my teeth due to a broken ankle can we keep to the point and leave the humour for another day.:(

I have had the same with some bought from T's and I ended up using my saw on the supers to make enough room for them to fit!

I now tend to buy my castellations from another supplier!

Same issue. If like me you bought seconds,, they dont fit. The 'top of the range' ones have a little groove cut in and they fit perfectly. Bit cheeky if you ask me!

I bought some equipment to make up a new hive in a famous manufacturers sale, no names no pack drill, but the castellation strips are too long to fit the inner walls of the hive without either chiseling out or cutting the metal.
Has any one else had this problem and how was it resolved. Baring in mind that I am gritting my teeth due to a broken ankle can we keep to the point and leave the humour for another day.:(

I'd cut the metal strips to size rather than chopping lumps out of the hive - they will cut easily with a hacksaw or a pair of tinsnips ... no humour here but the world is a sadder place because of it ...

I'd cut the metal strips to size rather than chopping lumps out of the hive - they will cut easily with a hacksaw or a pair of tinsnips ... no humour here but the world is a sadder place because of it ...

Probably better advice as I was just being lazy and had my jig saw to hand!

Just make sure that you cut them in pairs so that the castellations match up across the boxes!

The only problem that I experienced was trying to fit T****'s castellations to M******'s boxes. They certainly didn't fit! I had to buy M***** castellations.

Usually my 2nd supers from T****s fit the T****'s Castellations perfectly... so do you have the right castellations? Is the box square?

Good luck!

I'd be inclined to complain.
If you've bought and paid for a pack drill, then a pack drill you should have.

Just make sure that you cut them in pairs so that the castellations match up across the boxes!

I'd add that if you intend shortening them, you should really take a little off each end (to keep the frames evenly centred in the box), rather than just shortening at one end ...

I had the same problem. Solved it by just knocking the castellations in with a hammer.

Send them back and switch for runners :icon_204-2:

Yup I had the same problem, I cut a bit off each end with a grinder

I'd add that if you intend shortening them, you should really take a little off each end (to keep the frames evenly centred in the box), rather than just shortening at one end ...

I had this and did this, used tin snips
Pete D

i would just throw them away, I don't like castelations

I've got a full draw on my grandfather's some never used, 8. 10 ,11, 12 ,13

so has anyone ever use 13s...for wax production or drawing 4.9mm foundation?

Last edited:
They are for supers 10 spaces and I did not have any trouble when I bought the budget starter kit last year where they are provided. As far as I can remember none of the sale items were advertised as seconds, so this is very naughty. I have made a late start on putting the bits together as I have been decorating a place I let(after a bad tenant left).
The box is square but some pieces are warped and some not very good wood, making the whole job more difficult, it seems that quality is suffering in the way that large firms often allow to happen while trading on a good name. I will be trying somewhere else in future. For the first box I have chiseled out a groove but it is difficult to cut just enough and I will ave to fill in with wax. I may try the hammer technique or heat the end to burn the next one in, I don't have a vice to hold the pieces in so cutting would be difficult. I am in a hurry to replace the boxes I made a mistake with last year and get a new hive made as the girls are active and the colony seems to be increasing though it has been too cold and windy to take a proper look. and I need to be ready for action.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back