Cast swarm returned to origional hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbaz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
My first hive swarmed 9 days ago. I got the main swarm as I identified my marked queen on inspection a few days later.

On advice from here I removed all but one QC (or so I thought)
Today the main hive swarmed again in the same bush on the ground.
I had a nuc ready just in case they did a cast swarm but they didn’t want to go in it. I made a ramp and placed the branch they were on in front and they went up and all clung on the side of the nuc. I put another box top and gave them a helping hand into it. I then shook as many as I could into the nuc and watched to see if the queen had gone in. At first they appeared to all go in then when I turned around it looked like the main hive was preparing to swarm again :eek:
But they were all just returning back to the main hive.
5 mins later the nuc is empty and all the bees back in or on the main hive.
Did I damage the queen so they all returned? Or is there another explanation?
The weather isn't brilliant bit overcast looks like it may rain or have a thunderstorm but 19 degrees. Yesterday afternoon was very nice.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Well today they swarmed again around lunch time so I guess they just didn’t like the weather and went back in last night.
They settled on a young plum tree right at the base. I tried many times to scoop them up and put them in the nuc but every time they all just went back to the tree (I obviously didn't get the queen in)
Eventually they took off over some fields and left. I couldn't find them at the other end :(
I just hope there are enough bees left in the main hive and they don’t go again if I missed more Q cells.

But a positive end I opened the 1st swarm hive and found a little capped brood and found eggs so hopefully they will be up in numbers soon. I also felt a lot more confident in the hive after handling the swarms :)

On advice from here I removed all but one QC (or so I thought)

Likely you only left the one, but did you also check 3/4 days later? Destroying cells is OK, but they are likely too build more from already hatched eggs, so are ready to cast as soon as the first queen is ready to go.

Likely you only left the one, but did you also check 3/4 days later? Destroying cells is OK, but they are likely too build more from already hatched eggs, so are ready to cast as soon as the first queen is ready to go.

Yes I opened them 4 days after first swarm as I originally left more than 1 QC it was 6 days ago but must have missed at least 1.
When checking I didn't shake the frames maybe I should next time.

Brush the bees off, try not to shake the frames looking for QC.

Anyone else have any good reason why a 5 frame nuc shouldnt be housed in a hive with surrounding frames of foundation (as opposed to 2 x dummy boards),

Only need to do that for the frame with the chosen queen cell! You do that one first before shaking the rest!!

Latest posts

Back