cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grub

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
Hi

For the 1st time ever from my two hives that filled out nearly 5 supers between them, each hive had only capped a couple of frames in fact 2 in each , I have HB in abundance in my area as you can see from my photo , so I do leave it late with removing supers usually 1st or 2nd week of September and I did ask the Bee inspector was that late for my area and the answer was no , all looks ripe and not watery.

Any thoughts ? why they didn't cap the honey.

Grub

Use the shake test or a refractometer. Definitely use one after extraction and if water content is high then always smell it before using it. You can smell it if it is fermenting. It doesn't smell like honey at all. Don't sell it.
E

thanks both

all looks and smells fine .

Grub

It will smell ok at the moment. But if it does ferment in the jar it can force its way out of the lid in bubbles, it may mot happen for a few months so keep an eye on it. It really is worth 25 pounds for a refractometer. It takes seconds to check your water content and you can do it before you extract.
Sounds like a good crop though.... Well done, I am jealous, nothing for me this year!
E

Around here, the Balsam didn't provide much at all. It could be the case they were using it.

Don't think it yielded much nectar this year, at least in our parts. Too cold.
Bees have been on it but not in profusion.

It will smell ok at the moment. But if it does ferment in the jar it can force its way out of the lid in bubbles, it may mot happen for a few months so keep an eye on it. It really is worth 25 pounds for a refractometer. It takes seconds to check your water content and you can do it before you extract.
Sounds like a good crop though.... Well done, I am jealous, nothing for me this year!
E

I have put on the xmas list :thanks:

Don't think it yielded much nectar this year, at least in our parts. Too cold.
Bees have been on it but not in profusion.

still in full flower with me and this afternoon when I went to see how they are , all bees covered in pollen coming back home.

Latest posts

Back