Cappings wax debris

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
I'm used to lots of residue (slumgum) when rendering old brood combs.
Recently I've been rendering 2 seasons worth of cappings wax, the cappings are nice and clean however there's still lots of debris left behind after melting in hot water.
What is it and where does it come from?
Is it propolis mixed with the wax which separates out?
🤷‍♂️

What is it and where does it come from?
Is it propolis mixed with the wax which separates out?
got it in one - even with the cleanest virgin cappings you get a fair bit of slumgum, the bees will propolise the linings of the cells, but also the cappings to make them air and watertight.

Nice photos which demonstrate it perfectly!
Just the cappings missing 😂 but it is a good sample which I use for demonstration to talk about the subject, it is only the cell rims that get coated which would stick the capping down and make them air tight, interestingly that sample is from lime honey and I wonder if they collected propolis from the lime trees at the same time.
A lot of those frames I extracted were all natural no strips just a dribble of wax down the seems where you would put starter strips

I'm planning similar for cut comb next year.
I've seen bees harvesting second hand propolis from kit left outdoors, maybe worth leaving some of the debris out and see if they use it.

I'm planning similar for cut comb next year.
I've seen bees harvesting second hand propolis from kit left outdoors, maybe worth leaving some of the debris out and see if they use it.
The bees will reuse propolis from with in the hive also - but I’ve also seen bees collecting propolis from hives out side.
I had a few 8 and 9 frame supers this year some of the frames ended up like this some lime frames had two lots of comb on one frame the comb was ideal for chunk honey the darker comb is honey dew from the oak trees on the farm some call it oak honey which has all sold out already IMG_3574.jpegIMG_3447.jpeg

The bees will reuse propolis from with in the hive also - but I’ve also seen bees collecting propolis from hives out side.
I had a few 8 and 9 frame supers this year some of the frames ended up like this some lime frames had two lots of comb on one frame the comb was ideal for chunk honey the darker comb is honey dew from the oak trees on the farm some call it oak honey which has all sold out already View attachment 41255View attachment 41256
Narive British Oak trees do not produce honey dew .,, honey dew is secreted by aphids and the bees collect it from those tree where the aphids are resident. Oak honey is something else - it's a sap that is secreted by the acorns as they form and the bees collect it. Your customers may not know any better but there is a difference.

Narive British Oak trees do not produce honey dew .,, honey dew is secreted by aphids and the bees collect it from those tree where the aphids are resident. Oak honey is something else - it's a sap that is secreted by the acorns as they form and the bees collect it. Your customers may not know any better but there is a difference.
Yes true oak tree honey dew it is then, I also know the difference it’s not just oaks the bees collect sap from there are loads of different types of trees and the sap isn’t just collected from the acornes wounds on trees are another area

Back