Cappings on outer edges of varroa board

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loolabelle1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Our bees are in a standard national with a honey super which they had completely filled with sugar syrup/honey by autumn of last year. We are new beekeepers so haven't really got the hang of "hefting" the hive yet, although it does feel lighter.
However, we noticed at the weekend that there were wax cappings on the varroa floor which indicated they are uncapping the frames on the outer edges of both sides of the hive. Do bees work out from the middle and if so, would this indicate that the middle frames are now empty so they are taking the last of the stores. I have been giving fondant as well but wasn't sure if I need to up the quantity so they don't starve. We also have a clear crownboard and when we looked there were bees over all the frames. Many thanks

I'm sure you will have a range of answers by this evening, from more experienced beeks... but I would say if in doubt feed. You can cause problems by overfeeding, but they are not as immediate or terminal as starvation. This is a time when starvation is particularly likely, as a) they have been working through their stores for 4 months, and b) they will be starting to raise brood, so increasing the rate of consumption. Do you have a local mentor or association contact who could come round and assess?

If it is warm enough, and it has been this last week, the bees will not be clustered so they are able to roam the full extent of the hive and uncap any frames as required.

Hefting - use a digital luggage scale from epay, onto a hook on two opposite sides of the hive, to get an accurate weight of the hive for comparison to your simple 'hefting'.

I would have no idea of how much stores your hives will contain at this present time, but overwintering on a brood and super should mean more than adequate stores normally.

RAB

Thanks for the replies. I will have a look before I go to work tomorrow morning and if they have eaten all the fondant I will put some more on, to be on the safe side. I thought brood and super would be sufficient, especially as we have been feeding fondant as well but don't want to lose them. I have dropped an email to our Secretary as well

Latest posts

Back