Cappings bucket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Constructed a cappings tank today based on the details and photos posted by Pargyle a while ago. Many thanks for the idea

I used two 15L honey buckets, a 20cm diameter fine stainless steel food grade sieve and some beech offcuts for the frame support and the bucket support. I cut the bottom out of one bucket and because the diameter at the bottom of the bucket and sieve are the same, the sieve fits nicely inside, but can still be removed for cleaning.

0F1137A8-D397-4E6E-8799-0687D39FA560.jpegE0F10D62-DE7A-41EA-A197-EB37DD72DF8D.jpeg2D00F1DE-5938-4ECF-8F88-BB4BBF400806.jpeg

Constructed a cappings tank today based on the details and photos posted by Pargyle a while ago. Many thanks for the idea

I used two 15L honey buckets, a 20cm diameter fine stainless steel food grade sieve and some beech offcuts for the frame support and the bucket support. I cut the bottom out of one bucket and because the diameter at the bottom of the bucket and sieve are the same, the sieve fits nicely inside, but can still be removed for cleaning.

View attachment 21693View attachment 21694View attachment 21695
Nice job ... lot better than mine !

Looking good. Well done 👍

Sorry to be a thicky, but what is a frame and a frame-support? At first I assumed that you transferred a pile of cappings from your uncapping tray into the top bucket and let them drain. Obviously I've lost the plot......

Sorry to be a thicky, but what is a frame and a frame-support? At first I assumed that you transferred a pile of cappings from your uncapping tray into the top bucket and let them drain. Obviously I've lost the plot......
Sorry, probably me not being very clear. The frame is a super frame of capped honey. The frame support is a piece of wood that goes across the top of the bucket, on which I can rest the frame of honey whilst I remove the cappings.
Hope this helps.
Emily

Sorry, probably me not being very clear. The frame is a super frame of capped honey. The frame support is a piece of wood that goes across the top of the bucket, on which I can rest the frame of honey whilst I remove the cappings.
Hope this helps.
Emily
Many thanks

Many thanks
I use a tray for uncapping and then transfer the cappings to the bucket strainer to drain. Emily cuts out one piece of the operation by uncapping straight into the bucket strainer ... knowing my cak handed clumsiness I'd probably end up with the whole shooting match on the floor doing it that way !

The only thing I'd throw a bit of caution to in Emily's design is having the beech lugs glued onto the bucket - I've found that even two part epoxy glues, in time, will separate from plastic - it's called plastiser migration where plasticiser molecules detach from the plastic and move towards the material attached to the surface - in this case whatevre glue she used. I'd be inclined to put a couple of stainless steel screws through from the inside of the bucket into the beech blocks - belt and braces. Good job though .. mightily impressed.

I use a tray for uncapping and then transfer the cappings to the bucket strainer to drain. Emily cuts out one piece of the operation by uncapping straight into the bucket strainer ... knowing my cak handed clumsiness I'd probably end up with the whole shooting match on the floor doing it that way !

The only thing I'd throw a bit of caution to in Emily's design is having the beech lugs glued onto the bucket - I've found that even two part epoxy glues, in time, will separate from plastic - it's called plastiser migration where plasticiser molecules detach from the plastic and move towards the material attached to the surface - in this case whatevre glue she used. I'd be inclined to put a couple of stainless steel screws through from the inside of the bucket into the beech blocks - belt and braces. Good job though .. mightily impressed.

Nice one E&M. I think I might make one for my cappings. Like some others I use an uncapping tray but this would take up less space to leave draining and can have a lid on which keeps it neat and tidy.

Nice one E&M. I think I might make one for my cappings. Like some others I use an uncapping tray but this would take up less space to leave draining and can have a lid on which keeps it neat and tidy.
Thanks Niv. I don’t have much storage space, and as I only have two hives currently, it will do the job. Not sure how it will be with bigger quantities, but the honey buckets and sieve were off eBay so it cost no more than £8.00 and my time.
Emily

Thanks Niv. I don’t have much storage space, and as I only have two hives currently, it will do the job. Not sure how it will be with bigger quantities, but the honey buckets and sieve were off eBay so it cost no more than £8.00 and my time.
Emily

Ebay is great for stuff like that. I often use Simon the beekeeper via ebay as he often works out cheaper that way if you are only buying the odd bit.

Emily

You would be surprised ... I've had a lot of cappings in mine and they do drain very well ... just need to leave them in there overnight in a warm place and the honey drops out. Once it has stopped dripping you can then use the buckets to wash the cappings and they are ready then to recover the wax.

Good job. Think I’ll have a go at making one of these too. I bought a large uncapping tray a couple of seasons ago but it takes up so much space in the bee shed 🙄

Latest posts

Back