Capped empty comb cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Attached are photos to go with earlier post asking does anyone know why bees would cap over empty cells?
Hopefully photos attached this time!

Tried to attach them but only seem to be able to upload one to a post.

Attached are photos to go with earlier post asking does anyone know why bees would cap over empty cells?
Hopefully photos attached this time!

Tried to attach them but only seem to be able to upload one to a post.

I happen to when there is a sudden stop in flow as does holes in the foundation, lots of wax workers building comb then nothing to do

The normal reaction is for them to nibble the wax or thin the foundation to raise the cell wals and that creates holes, but you can get the phantom capping as well, i assume programmed and just carry on

when the flow restarts the new wax worker ignore the old working and start new cells

Last edited:
Just out of interest, someone in another thread earlier in the year said that after decapping with hot air gun he noticed they recapped empty cells, is this what you have done? Just interested!

Just out of interest, someone in another thread earlier in the year said that after decapping with hot air gun he noticed they recapped empty cells, is this what you have done? Just interested!
I've seen this on 4 of my hives at various sites around London for the first time this year. In my case its restricted to the brood box on new foundation they are drawing out.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. This was new foundation in the brood box so no Enrico I had not used a hot air gun to decap. Interested to hear your suggestions Muswellmetro thanks.

Back