Can't find queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbeeinbromley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This colony was a swarm collection in May last year. I marked the queen. They have built up very well and I have two national brood full. So...I inspected on 27th March and she was there along with a total of 1.5 frames of brood. I went on holiday from 2nd to 12th. I inspected again on Monday and didn't see her but a load of drones and worker brood dome capped (good close pattern). I can see open brood and it's very random inbetween pollen but don't know if it will end up as drones! I couldn't see any eggs. The bees seemed quite a bit angrier than usual (got stung which I never seem to do with this colony)and not as intent on working in the hive, randomly walking everywhere especially over my hand.

So do I take it as old queen laying and died or laying workers?

Any tips on what to do next? Was hoping to move colony to allotment this week!

Looking forward to the advise!

I would say queen ran out of sperm and now drone layer. Probably not mated rite last year if she was a in a cast, or just old

Could be laying workers (look for multiple eggs in the cells with several on the sides of the cell). Also many colonies replace the queen by supersedure in spring especiallly if she is old or infirm with Nosema. If the new replacement queen didn't get mated a young drone laying queen could be the source of the drone brood in worker cells.

Still early for laying workers (at least in my neck of the woods) but anything is possible. Most likely turning into a drone layer, but surprised they have not tried to supercede her.

Simple question - Is the drone brood in worker cells? Not rocket science, if that is the case!

If it is worker layer, they are tens. And why do they stop laying at once.

Unmated queen is quite usual after winter. Not a miracle.

One of my hives is going ballistic the other very very slow, last year was convinced she had gone, but surprised us, and she has done the same again this year.:hairpull:

I will place some freshly laid eggs in the brood box tomorrow and see what happens. My other colony is the smallest nuc ever and very very slow so not many eggs spare!

I would say queen ran out of sperm and now drone layer. Probably not mated rite last year if she was a in a cast, or just old

I have a horrible feeling you are right. Happened to me two years ago.

I've just finished inspecting for the third time, no new eggs so placed a section of brood in the hive with fresh eggs from the other hive, how long now do I leave it until next inspections?

Look in 4/5 days though you often can tell sooner.
Not all Q- colonies will make queen cells though.
A QC will confirm they ARE queenless no QC will not confirm they have a queen.

So... It's been 4 days since putting brood in the hive. I'm going to inspect tomorrow. If I see no emergency queen comb what should I do? I could combine with my other very small nuc, newspaper method but worried about putting all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I also have loads of drones (100s)shall I leave them be or shake them out in front of the hive and put a queen excluder under brood box, collect half and dispatch? Want to get a queen in the hive asap to get them calm again!

No point in crossing bridges before you get to them. First ascertain if the colony is Q-. You can only safely unite if there are queen cells. Your apparent plan would likely be a disaster in the making.

Thanks Oliver90owner, so you're saying if they are wanting a queen, give them one. What if there are no queen cells? There were No eggs and only a few open brood. No bias, angry, noisy bees, don't seem to be the calmness and order they usually have. I'm 99% sure there is no queen.

I'm 99% sure there is no queen.

So there is only a 1% chance there is one?

Your risk of losing your other laying queen. Up to you what you decide to do.

I am not saying anything. I may have replied earlier in the thread and I would not particularly have changed my mind.

hi newbeeinbromley. What is the news, did you check again?

I got in too late from work to inspect. Got tomorrow off so will be inspecting lunchtime tomorrow. A little apprehensive!

They had done nothing unusual with the new brood so I took my time and finally found her. She's superseded the old queen, big and very dark, just like a drone. I saw some worker brood hatching, guess I've now got to check my inspection records and see if drones were around before those workers were laid. That would tell me if she's fertile or not. Massive thanks to oliver90owner for input. Made me look for the 1% lol.

Latest posts

Back