Cane or Beet ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
who wants a laugh, the black slave triangle was started by the english transported irish convicts to the sugar plantations but they ran out of convicts so they started shipping from africa instead, that is true by the way

and its not only sugar beet thats is grown in suffolk and norfolk they used to grow it in the kidderminster in the miidlands, but this is how the farmers are badly treated do you know that all sugar beet seeds used in the uk are held under copy right by the sugar companies ? i have also heard a rummour about how the farmers have to bid for the quota of seeds they get as well, not certain about the quota systems but the seeds are for sure owned by the sugar companies

Sounds like shades of Monsanto there Pete, not unlike Roundup ready rape.

TonyBloke, I have to correct your earlier statement that cane sugar has to be bleached to make it white.

All sugar gets to a stage where the juice is heated/boiled to remove water and form the correct sized crystals. When the correct sized crystals are achieved, the sugar is dumped into what looks like top loading spin driers and the molasses is spun out. Fine water sprays are used to wash the sugar to produce white sugar, with no residual molasses.

No bleaching at all. I had a visit to a sugar beet factory in Lincolnshire when I was at school and to be honest, that visit was a very useful bit of schooling, to the point that the images and explanation of the processes involved have stuck with my ever since.

iif sugar cane is not bleached, my apologies (how come the 'raw cane' sugar isn't white, then,btw?

I have worked at Cantley Sugar Factory (about 10 miles away) so am familiar with sugar from beet production.

have a look here, download factory guide for cantley

http://www.britishsugar.co.uk/Contact-us.aspx

FWIW.

The Cubans would disagree with the cane/beet argument as they told us that beet sugar contains cancer inducing properties. Ho hum.... Mind you they also told us that the CIA had poisoned the coastal waters around the island and killed off all the pigs... hmm....

PH

Latest posts

Back