Candle making question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandeville

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I'm trying to make two-tone candles.

I have an irregular shaped mould and I'm pouring natural wax into the bottom, allowing it to set and then adding dyed wax to fill the rest of the mould.

The problem I'm having is that the second pouring is filling up the gaps round the edge left by the shrinkage of the first lot of wax, and that's spoiling the effect.

I managed to get it perfect once, so I know it's possible, but I don't know what I did!! Could it be something to do with the temperatures? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I'm trying to make two-tone candles.

I have an irregular shaped mould and I'm pouring natural wax into the bottom, allowing it to set and then adding dyed wax to fill the rest of the mould.

The problem I'm having is that the second pouring is filling up the gaps round the edge left by the shrinkage of the first lot of wax, and that's spoiling the effect.

I managed to get it perfect once, so I know it's possible, but I don't know what I did!! Could it be something to do with the temperatures? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

It's difficult .. I've never done it with beeswax but I've done it with candle wax mixture and a silicon mould .. pour the first colour let it get to the point where it's not cool but has stopped shrinking, pour a small amout of the original colour to fill the shrinkage. Let that cool and pour the second colour. A lot of people cheat .. make two identical candles, clean up the faces, soften two faces and bring them together so they stick ...

There is even a glue you can use ...

My wife reliably informs me that you need to top up the first pour as it cools to allow for any shrinkage. ;)

Thanks for these suggestions - topping it up is definitely helping a bit. It's difficult because there are little sticky-out bits which set immediately and then shrink, leaving gaps which are too small to refill easily, but fill up very nicely with the wrong colour :rolleyes:

"make two identical candles, clean up the faces, soften two faces and bring them together so they stick ... " This sounds like a cunning plan - but what happens to the wick??

Can't you tap the mould to get rid of any air bubbles? You might have to make a plaster base fo the outside of the silicone mould.

Maybe I'm just being dumb here but why are you waiting for the first colour to set? This shrinkage seems to be causing all your problems.
Why not try gently pouring in the second colour shortly after the first. They are unlikely to mix much within a mould if you wait until the first colour is just beginning to set.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just being dumb here but why are you waiting for the first colour to set? This shrinkage seems to be causing all your problems.
Why not try gently pouring in the second colour shortly after the first. They are unlikely to mix much within a mould if you wait until the first colour is just beginning to set.

From my experience with candle wax (not beeswax) if you do it that way you don't get a clean definition between the two colours as the hotter wax bleeds into the still soft first colour - the full quantity of the second colour is quite a large heat source which melts and merges with the first colour. Depends what effect you want ... clean stripes or a blurred join.

"make two identical candles, clean up the faces, soften two faces and bring them together so they stick ... " This sounds like a cunning plan - but what happens to the wick??

Nothing ... cut the top of the wick off the lower candle and remove the wick retainer from the bottom of the top candle and trim the wick flush with the bottom. Join the candles... when the flame gets to the join it will move from the top half of the wick to the bottom half ... its unlikely to be noticed but if the flame goes out you just relight the wick in the bottom half ... candles do sometimes go out ... customers will never notice.

Not sure if this will work, but could be worth a try:

1.Try pouring the 1st color (with a little topping up). Let it completely set.

2.Then pour a tiny bit more of the 1st color so it fills the problem gaps, again let it set.

3.Then finally pour the second color with topping up.

Or instead of of step 2, you could maybe try using a syringe with needle to put a tiny bit of water around the edge of the mould . Just a tiny bit to fill the gap around the edge, avoiding getting any in the middle or the 2 pours will not join properly.

Not sure if this will work, but could be worth a try:

1.Try pouring the 1st color (with a little topping up). Let it completely set.

2.Then pour a tiny bit more of the 1st color so it fills the problem gaps, again let it set.

3.Then finally pour the second color with topping up.

Or instead of of step 2, you could maybe try using a syringe with needle to put a tiny bit of water around the edge of the mould . Just a tiny bit to fill the gap around the edge, avoiding getting any in the middle or the 2 pours will not join properly.

Trying to get wax into the gap isn't going to work, but the water idea is definitely worth trying - that's clever, thank you for this suggestion :cheers2:

I am delighted you think my suggestion is worth a try :)

I knows it go's without saying. However, I assume anyone who benefits from using the "bobba water trick" to PM me to get my address. Then they can post me one of their lovely 2 tone candles :sunning:

You cant blame a man for trying.

Seriously though, I will be even happier if it works. So please let me know if you try it.

Yeah, I'll let you know how it goes. I'll have another try next week.

Latest posts

Back